How Many of You Can Remember This?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Use to jam geetars with a guy back in the early '70s that had Apache on album. I actually borrowed it from him, we lost contact (I met & married Sweetie), and it was a few years before we connected again.

He was happy to get his album back...
___

OKNewshawk

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I remember hearing Apache. It was back when I was 11. I can't remember where I heard it--whether it was from an Atlantic City, NJ, radio station, WABC-AM in New York City, or CKLW-AM in Windsor, Ontario, Canada, which I could get on skip at night.

rhart

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Was 12 when it came out so I probably don't remember it then, but I remember bands playing it at sock-hops a few years later. It sounds like a surfing movie song...

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As a 14-year-old at that time, I was paying a lot of attention to music. Yes, I remember the black-and-white tv sessions (Ed Sullivan, etc), and I do remember that particular piece of music, "Apache," along with "Telstar." (My father was an electronics engineer in 1964, and all electric guitar music - and moog-synthesizer, too - really caught our attention).

Telstar - The Tornadoes - 1962

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yo, Dennis!!!!

You didn't have radio either?

I never "saw" it either until I saw this YouTube video, but I heard it lots of times on the radio.
Had an AM radio in the parents car and mine after turning 16, along with one of those little transistor radio's that one could clip on to the brass switch of a lamp to hear radio. That was it. We didn't have money for many fun things. I mowed lawns with a mower my grandfather gave me and put the money not required for gas and maintenance in a savings account. $1.75 at a time for a city lot. Sometimes my parents would have to borrow money from me to make bills for the month, but they always paid it back. Pretty much financed anything every bought by myself.
In return, when finally going away to the Army, and money was better for parents with mom going to work, wife and I fell short a couple of months, so we had them wire us $20 or so to complete the rent or pay bills. Sold plasma as much as possible to get $10 per visit to pay parents back and include 10% as that is what savings accounts were paying at that time in the 70's.
Yeah, times were tough.
Makes me appreciate the comfortable lifestyle we live now.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Had an AM radio in the parents car and mine after turning 16, along with one of those little transistor radio's that one could clip on to the brass switch of a lamp to hear radio. That was it. We didn't have money for many fun things. I mowed lawns with a mower my grandfather gave me and put the money not required for gas and maintenance in a savings account. $1.75 at a time for a city lot. Sometimes my parents would have to borrow money from me to make bills for the month, but they always paid it back. Pretty much financed anything every bought by myself.
In return, when finally going away to the Army, and money was better for parents with mom going to work, wife and I fell short a couple of months, so we had them wire us $20 or so to complete the rent or pay bills. Sold plasma as much as possible to get $10 per visit to pay parents back and include 10% as that is what savings accounts were paying at that time in the 70's.
Yeah, times were tough.
Makes me appreciate the comfortable lifestyle we live now.

I remember a spell after marriage when I would pawn a Polaroid camera towards the end of the month for $10 to be sure we had stuff for the baby. Did that for several months until I got a better paying job.

Latest posts

Top Bottom