How Many of You Can Remember This?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A bunch of guys and I were stationed at a radar station in Las Cruces New Mexico in 1961 plus and we'd all listen to KOMA at night because the reception was better and it was 700 miles from the radar station. Apache, Elephant Waltz (I think) Ray Charles, those were the days!

Forgalspop

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When I was a kid growing up in Northeast Kansas my father had ran copper wire back and forth in our attic as an antenna for a crystal radio set. My father was a ham radio operator so he was into all kinds of radio stuff. My brother and I would take turns listening to radio stations via the crystal radio. We could pick up KOMA out of OKC, WLS out of Chicago, KAAY out of Little Rock, WKY out of OKC and radio stations out of Kansas City. I believe at times could pickup a station out of Ft. Worth, but I don't recall it's call letters.

We thought it pretty cool to be able to pick up all those stations on a crystal radio with a headset and the radio not needing electricity or batteries. Simply touching the crystal in different spots on the crystal with the probe one could tune in stations from all over.

My have times changed!

OHJEEZE

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
To be fair, you have to remember it for when it first came out, not that you just heard it at some time.

The Shadows - Apache

I was still a shot in my Dad's sack back then!

But that was excellent! 👍

I can not say I ever heard that before.

Thanks!

Edit:

I just had to listen to that like 6 times or so!

A welcome addition to me in 2022! 🙂

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom