How Many of You Can Remember This?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

27Man

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Oh yes, I remember all those songs. I was 16 at the time and was into music and cars. Growing up in Alva, WKY was the radio station most of us listened to but KOMA was much clearer at night. I had a 6 transistor Channel Master radio that I bought from my summer earnings plowing on a LA Case tractor. Good years then.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When we lived in the Panhandle (as we did at that time), we would have to wait until late in the day for KOMA to either go directional or increase their power so we could hear them. For the life of me, I could never tell anyone who the DJ's were.
I once mentioned KOMA on another forum I used to frequent, and one of the guys said he used to listen to them at night when he was young. He was originally from the upper Midwest, either the Chicago area or Wisconsin, I forget which. When I was in high school and college, I listened to KOMA a lot, and they'd have folks from Mexico to Canada calling to tell them they were listening.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I once mentioned KOMA on another forum I used to frequent, and one of the guys said he used to listen to them at night when he was young. He was originally from the upper Midwest, either the Chicago area or Wisconsin, I forget which. When I was in high school and college, I listened to KOMA a lot, and they'd have folks from Mexico to Canada calling to tell them they were listening.

In 1962, our family went to the Pacific Northwest to visit family in southern Oregon and then go on up to the Seattle World's Fair that year. Driving of an evening after around 6:00, we could pick up KOMA clear up there.

tynyphil

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Speaking of KOMA... in 1975 I was the assistant manager of the student union, SWOSU, while going to school there... which meant I came in at 6PM and stayed however late answered phone and locked up the union when all was done. Ronnie Kaye was coming in one evening for a dance. He called the union and said his car was broke down 1/2 way from OKC. I volunteered to go pick him up. When coming back into town I guess I was in a hurry to get us to the union when I was stopped for speeding a block from the union. I got out of the car to explain the situation.......as did Ronnie. Officer was yelling to Ronnie to get back into the car......which he didn't... luckily no guns drawn and we explained the situation. Officer let us continue on.

Last edited:

KurtM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Don't know about KOMA, but Xrock80 out of Juarez used to walk over just about all AM station in the southwest all the way up to California. I'm told the song Border Radio was written about it. Blasted out of Mexico at 150000 watts of power! Radio Que Bueno!!!

Latest posts

Top Bottom