How many of you have sporterized a milsurp?

• Thread starter point and laugh
  • Start Date
This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flatwins

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
264killer said:
In the early 60,s i bought a 1917 endfield made by winchester from montgumery wards for $29.00 . sawed the ears off the rear sight,ground the rear receiver ring to a radias . Cut the floor plate & welded it stright, put a cherry wood stock on it, shorted the barrel. And still ended up with a 9 # 30 06. that gun wood have been worth hundreds these days.

My dad did a similar treatment to a Win 1917 about that same time frame. Beautiful rifle that lives in my brother's safe now. Dad wishes he would have left it alone now though.

P

point and laugh

So, I walked into the clubhouse at the gun range today, and a guy said "Look, I think you need this, I'll make you a deal". And there is a very nice walnut stock inletted for a Mosin. So on the way home I picked up some automotive paint, metallic charcoal mist color, and used the paint to 're-blue' my cut Mosin. Now I need a scope mount, and I need to fit a buttplate to it. It's length of pull is too short for me.
Here's some pics of what I've done so far.
i1148.photobucket.com_albums_o574_Point_and_Laugh_sporter4.jpg

i1148.photobucket.com_albums_o574_Point_and_Laugh_sporter3.jpg

i1148.photobucket.com_albums_o574_Point_and_Laugh_sporter2a.jpg

i1148.photobucket.com_albums_o574_Point_and_Laugh_sporter1a.jpg

aestus

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I like showing this to people who frequent http://7.62x54r.net just to see the rage that builds up in their eyes. You can see them try and act calm and civil, but deep inside... oh man. Their blood is boiling. I think some may have experienced aneurisms from this. In the grand scheme of things, I've seen worse bubba jobs on milsurps than what I did to this.

I do have a MO marked mosin with a hex reciever that is completely stock. This second mosin I acquired as part of a group buy was so horrible that it became a project gun. The rifling was shot, crown was badly damaged and had about a minute of car accuracy. It's now about a 2 - 3 moa rifle after cutting it down to about 19" and doing some minor accurizing. I could probably get it down to 1 moa with a little extra work and the camo job is not done yet. This is just the first layer and I have about 2 more layers of patterns I need to airbrush in.

This mosin scout rifle is a real nice shooter. Even purists can't help but smile after shooting a few rounds out of this thing :) I've had a few offers to buy it for about $400 and a couple have begged me to let them borrow it for hunting.

www.aestus.net_pics_mosin2.jpg

flatwins

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
point and laugh said:
So, I walked into the clubhouse at the gun range today, and a guy said "Look, I think you need this, I'll make you a deal". And there is a very nice walnut stock inletted for a Mosin. So on the way home I picked up some automotive paint, metallic charcoal mist color, and used the paint to 're-blue' my cut Mosin. Now I need a scope mount, and I need to fit a buttplate to it. It's length of pull is too short for me.
Here's some pics of what I've done so far.

I like where this one is going, especially since it was already cut when you acquired it. Good looking stock!

P

point and laugh

Well, here's my range report. It belches fire like my M38, it got a lot of attention. It was shooting about 2 feet to the right, so I turned the front sight and got it corrected. I got off about 10 rounds at 200 yards when something pinched my hand between my thumb and index finger. I looked and saw nothing wrong at first. When I chambered the next round I thought something felt wierd, kinda flexy. Upon closer inspection I found that the stock had split right under my hand, that was the pinch. Scary, one more round and it probably would have become a 2 piece stock. I am taking it to an experienced stock maker to see if it is repairable.

GNRNR

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Never sporterized one myself. But I have turned sporters into something I think is neat.

Picked this up at a gun show a few months ago. Still working on a scout scope
mount.

Before
i151.photobucket.com_albums_s122_cr74nva_IMG_1794.jpg

After
i151.photobucket.com_albums_s122_cr74nva_IMG_1818.jpg

been

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Never sporterized one myself. But I have turned sporters into something I think is neat.

Picked this up at a gun show a few months ago. Still working on a scout scope
mount.

Before
i151.photobucket.com_albums_s122_cr74nva_IMG_1794.jpg

After
i151.photobucket.com_albums_s122_cr74nva_IMG_1818.jpg

Thats pretty cool! Assault Mauser!
is that a muzzle brake? Is the Trench Mag reliable?

Latest posts

Top Bottom