How many of you old cranks remember?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2busy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
McDonalds Corporation is the largest private owner of real estate in the United States , when I franchise is opened the Franchisee is on the hook for the cost for everything including the building which they own, but they never own the land the building sits on and its also how McDonald's keeps control of its franchises. If they do not want to adhere to agreements , McDonald's will cancel the lease and quit supplying them and just like that they're out of business.
The McDonald's brothers lost their business to a shyster a long time ago.

XYZ

Ribertarian
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The food two decades ago was much better. Burger King at one time was actually Char Broiled their burgers on a conveyer belt passing through a gas flame, now they microwave previously char broiled raw meat.

Here's the latest training video for Sonic:

I have a feeling all fast food is lab grown...

I remember the old sonic. Brother worked at one as a manager after high school. He’s said the same thing about quality and product.

As a side note our local Sonic is a nasty crap hole. Plus it’s falling apart around itself.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I remember the old sonic. Brother worked at one as a manager after high school. He’s said the same thing about quality and product.

As a side note our local Sonic is a nasty crap hole. Plus it’s falling apart around itself.
My boy worked at both Sonic and McDonald's years ago. He refused to eat Sonic, said McDonald's had great cleanliness. I try to avoid both, but really try to avoid Sonic.

2busy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I worked at a sonic back in 1981-82. We made onion rings daily from real onions. I liked the fish sandwich. Patties were pre made. We buttered the buns then browned them on the grill.

XYZ

Ribertarian
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This location was still serving burgers until the last big tornado hit Shawnee. Brown Derby.

I think they’re opened back up.

As a side note when I first got out of high school I worked for C&H Wholesale in Shawnee. One of their customers I delivered to was that Brown Derby.The owner’s wife was smoking hot and flirty. Loved making deliveries there.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Sorry guys, I've lived in or near Shawnee for sixty years and the Brown Derby location on Kickapoo Street was not the first Sonic in Shawnee. The first Sonic was built on Harrison in 1959, just a few blocks from where I live. It was closed and eventually torn down when a new Sonic was built to replace it next door.

Why they would ever tear down the first Sonic building I'll never understand. That original location has been a small strip mall since the Sonic was destroyed.

The original Brown Derby had been around since 1956 before the owner retired and sold it to Boom-A-Rang a few years ago which kept the name and tried to fool people into believing that it was still the same.

It didn't take long for locals to uncover the plot though, especially since they changed the menu drastically. They serve the same nasty food that they have at the diners and have ruined a great drive in here for us that enjoyed for many years.

Coincidentally, Boom-A-Rang and now the fake Brown Derby Drive-in, are owned by the Degraffenreid family that used to own a few Sonics when I was young.

XYZ

Ribertarian
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sorry guys, I've lived in or near Shawnee for sixty years and the Brown Derby location on Kickapoo Street was not the first Sonic in Shawnee. The first Sonic was built on Harrison in 1959, just a few blocks from where I live. It was closed and eventually torn down when a new Sonic was built to replace it next door.

Why they would ever tear down the first Sonic building I'll never understand. That original location has been a small strip mall since the Sonic was destroyed.

The original Brown Derby had been around since 1956 before the owner retired and sold it to Boom-A-Rang a few years ago which kept the name and tried to fool people into believing that it was still the same.

It didn't take long for locals to uncover the plot though, especially since they changed the menu drastically. They serve the same nasty food that they have at the diners and have ruined a great drive in here for us that enjoyed for many years.

Coincidentally, Boom-A-Rang and now the fake Brown Derby Drive-in, are owned by the Degraffenreid family that used to own a few Sonics when I was young.
I don’t think anyone is saying it is.
I thought it was always the brown derby.
The owner when delivered there was Johnny Kinsel <sp?>
If you go through this thread I posted pics of the original Sonic on Harrison.

eta: okay maybe @1mathom1 was saying that. I thought he was saying the brown derby was better. My bad.

Last edited:

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I don’t think anyone is saying it is.
I thought it was always the brown derby.
The owner when delivered there was Johnny Kinsel <sp?>
If you go through this thread I posted pics of the original Sonic on Harrison.
One post by another member refers to one of your photos as the Brown Derby. Also those photos do not state which street in Shawnee that Sonic is located. I just posted the info for clarification.

(I meant to quote that post when I made my post but I screwed it up.)

Latest posts

Top Bottom