How much to live on?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
How is that possible? Aren't you a cop? I see them living in nice houses all the time.

Yeah, big city cops make good money. When you're a cop in a sleepy little rural, podunk town, mmm...not so much.

What's really sad is that I've been a cop for 35 years and this is the most money I've ever made.

Hell, I can remember having two or three other part time jobs along with my full time just to barely make ends meet.

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We live pretty comfortably on a helluva lot less than $80k. But, we're no longer raising a bunch of kids with those related expenses. We have far more than we need in terms of "stuff". We tend to animals so we (meaning 'I') don't leave home a lot. Wife goes to TX at least once per month to see the kids. I think it's all about what you want out of life and what stage of life you happen to be in. If you've done it right, it should get easier as you get older. We're both happier now than we've ever been.

There have been times in my life when we lived nearly paycheck to paycheck on $180k-ish per year. I wasn't nearly as happy then as I am now living on 25% - 30% of that.

tynyphil

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When working I advanced thru my 45 year career to around $120k. Wife was mostly stay at home mom the way I felt best for our family of 4. No retirement other than little money I was able to set back. Retired on SS around $40k only bill besides insurance taxes food etc is an RV. We live comfortably and pretty much do whatever we want when we want. Live on a 7 acre mini farm and have an 80 acre hideout/hunting property an hour away. All this to say you can do whatever you truly set your mind on.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah, big city cops make good money. When you're a cop in a sleepy little rural, podunk town, mmm...not so much.

What's really sad is that I've been a cop for 35 years and this is the most money I've ever made.

Hell, I can remember having two or three other part time jobs along with my full time just to barely make ends meet.
After 20 years in different departments, I was making $8.20 an hour when I retired. The city fathers had to vote every year on whether or not the city employees got wage increases. They never voted for raises. My last two years the city went to a merit based wage increase based on yearly evaluations. Guess what? No one got a good evaluation. We did get a yearly loyalty check for remaining employed and my Blue Cross Blue Shield was paid for 100%. Both of my kids cost $25 when they were born. We qualified for foodstamps.

Wifey worked for the county court clerk then later for a well service company. She was laid off and started a daycare at our house. Damn! I was never so sick in my life as I was when the parents brought their green snot-nosed kids over for her to watch them. Thank GOD, I was on permanent days and didn't have to be around them that much.

It was then we learned of ALDIS in Wichita. We shopped there for all of our groceries and at that time two carts full were around $100. We itemized and the expense was a deduction. Being smart and educated as to the opportunities, programs, loopholes, etc. you can get by.

Now, in my retirement, we could be living pretty well but we are currently STRAPPED because we support two households, one with a new baby. I have to ration gas just to get the lawn mowed.
:pissed: :censored: :cry3:
Who woulda thunk Brain Dead Biden would fouck up the economy just to tear us apart and to keep the demnorats in power.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
After 20 years in different departments, I was making $8.20 an hour when I retired. The city fathers had to vote every year on whether or not the city employees got wage increases. They never voted for raises. My last two years the city went to a merit based wage increase based on yearly evaluations. Guess what? No one got a good evaluation. We did get a yearly loyalty check for remaining employed and my Blue Cross Blue Shield was paid for 100%. Both of my kids cost $25 when they were born. We qualified for foodstamps.

Wifey worked for the county court clerk then later for a well service company. She was laid off and started a daycare at our house. Damn! I was never so sick in my life as I was when the parents brought their green snot-nosed kids over for her to watch them. Thank GOD, I was on permanent days and didn't have to be around them that much.

It was then we learned of ALDIS in Wichita. We shopped there for all of our groceries and at that time two carts full were around $100. We itemized and the expense was a deduction. Being smart and educated as to the opportunities, programs, loopholes, etc. you can get by.

Now, in my retirement, we could be living pretty well but we are currently STRAPPED because we support two households, one with a new baby. I have to ration gas just to get the lawn mowed.
:pissed: :censored: :cry3:
Who woulda thunk Brain Dead Biden would fouck up the economy just to tear us apart and to keep the demnorats in power.

I feel your pain brother. :comfort:

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I get around $30k a year on the latest social security. I get by.
That is all I do is get by.
I have no credit
But have only utility bills and pay $1000 / mo rent for a decent house in Stillwater

Yup. All I owe on is my wife's truck and our house and utilities. We do not have a credit card and we don't go out to eat but maybe once a month. That sh*t's expensive!

We went out for the wife's birthday last weekend to a local Mexican place. Six people, three of us drank water, no alcoholic beverages or desert...$91 bucks!

F*CK DAT!!! :faint:

Big House

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

This is why I got out of it. I started later in life but realized very quickly that it was zero means of life. I did have the opportunity to look into the BIA, and could have done that, but seeing their restraints by listening to other BIA I chose another route. My hats off to you GMD. That's some dedication.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This is why I got out of it. I started later in life but realized very quickly that it was zero means of life. I did have the opportunity to look into the BIA, and could have done that, but seeing their restraints by listening to other BIA I chose another route. My hats off to you GMD. That's some dedication.

Well...I can't sing or dance, so... :ugh2:

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This is going to piss somebody off because they've lived on $30k/yr for their whole life and are completely comfortable...

But I don't think you can realistically live a normal life with a family on less than $80k/yr. Even in Oklahoma.
Most retired couples are living on $30,000 or less a year.

Latest posts

Top Bottom