How much to live on?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

saddlebum

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah, big city cops make good money. When you're a cop in a sleepy little rural, podunk town, mmm...not so much.

What's really sad is that I've been a cop for 35 years and this is the most money I've ever made.

Hell, I can remember having two or three other part time jobs along with my full time just to barely make ends meet.
the trade off to get to live where you live seems worth it to me

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I wouldn't consider being retired with no kids at home a "normal" situation. If you've had many years to pay off your house, buy reliable cars, prepare for retirement, AND you don't ever want to go outside, then I could see how someone could live on that. But I couldn't.
Just a whole lot of people have stuff happen that prevents them paying off their house and buying a new car. Like myself. I ended up disabled a long time before we expected to end up on a fixed income. We did get our house payments down to a very low amount but the car was wrecked and we ended up with what we could afford, and I know several people that have it even worse.

If you can, pay off your house early and instead of buying new toys, save as much as you can. Half in low interest but safe investments.

Big House

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yup. My oldest daughter and her husband bought a house two years ago for around $250K. She's a kindergarten teacher and he's the maintenance manager for a local tribe.

I guess they do alright. They do eat at our house three or four times a week, however. :rolleyes2
At least your daughter is making an attempt on bettering herself. I won't go into detail what my daughter is doing too not better herself.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
the trade off to get to live where you live seems worth it to me

It is. I'm really not complaining. I mean, sure, I'd like to make more money, hell, anybody would. But, like you said, considering I don't gotta deal with big city traffic or noisy, nosy neighbors, I'll deal with less deniro.

And given that the hardest part of my job is staying awake (college campus police dept) I sometimes feel like I should backup to the window on payday.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
At least your daughter is making an attempt on bettering herself. I won't go into detail what my daughter is doing too not better herself.

I'm very, very proud of my girls. They are both successful women with rewarding careers (both school teachers).

My oldest has been married for 7 years with two awesome boys. And my youngest (she's 25) still lives with us, but she has devoted herself to her career with a masters degree in education. She says someday she'll meet a guy, marry and have kids, but God hasn't sent her the right man yet.

Yeah, they didn't get their ways from me. :rolleyes2 I credit their mother for the young women that they are today.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I retired on about $45k pension.
No debt, paid cash for a new house and truck (as a result of my divorce in 2015, i did well).
Recently was approved for full disability SS = to my pension. I hated applying for SSD but I paid into it for over 40 years.
No wife or kids so I'm plenty comfortable.
And I have some investment stuff that I'm not able to touch till I'm 59 1/2.
I planned and it went well financially.
But money does not buy happiness.
I'd give it all back to have my health.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom