How to eradicate Grub worms from you yard

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Help guys and gals (BB), I have a serious grub issue and I'm looking for ideas to effectively kill them. Yard is about 1.5 acres so the expensive big box store Scotts stuff is not an option.
What do you all think?

okievarmint

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Do you have a way to water? If so, get the cheapest powdered laundry detergent you can (Dollar Store, Wal-Mart, etc.) and spread it on your lawn. Lightly water it in, and it will kill the grubs. If at all possible, make sure it is NOT phosphurus free. Phos. is good for the grass, just don't overdo it.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Our neighbors had a major problem and they used something from Scott's. Worked great. All I know - sorry
In some of my reading it say the Scotts stuff was not a poison but more of a preventative to kill the larva and did not recommend it. Its expensive for a small bag that wont cover much area.
Do you have a way to water? If so, get the cheapest powdered laundry detergent you can (Dollar Store, Wal-Mart, etc.) and spread it on your lawn. Lightly water it in, and it will kill the grubs. If at all possible, make sure it is NOT phosphurus free. Phos. is good for the grass, just don't overdo it.
I do have a way to water but that would take alot of laudry detergent wouldn't it? How heavey would i need to apply it?
It's been a while but I had a neighbor that used this Milky Spore. Check it out: http://www.extremelygreen.com/Product.cfm?Name=Milky%20Spore%20Disease%20Powder

I think nematodes work too.

One thing I remember for sure is that you have to treat for a few years. Apparently the larvae can live for a while.

Yeah, I read about these also and as you said, takes awhile but it more earth frendly but cost a lot also.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Someone told me they bought a 50# bag of Seven and spread it, water it in and in a few days the grubs had all come to the surface and dies. He said there were literally thousands of them and it was quite a mess and stunk for a few days untill they got sun dried but this way seem pretty nice in that Seven is probably not too expensive in 50# bags and you can see the results and know if it worked.
Someone else told me to add mineral oil to water in my spray rig and spray that on...anyone heard of this?

Latest posts

Top Bottom