How to handle Border Patrol checkpoint?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alanwk

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I will be driving to Del Rio, Texas (close to the Mexican border) to visit my son who is stationed there and just returned from Iraq. I will be armed (I have my cc permit from OK) and if I remember correctly the Border Patrol only stops you on the way back north. The stop is about 25 miles from the border. They let the dog sniff around the car and just asked if we were US citizens and where were we headed? No driver license check. Do I have to (or should I) tell them I am carrying and have a permit? I want to do the right thing and avoid any problems.

bettingpython

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thats when you preface the sentabce with something like this.

"Sir I am unsure of the proper protocal for this in Texas, but in my home state I am required to notify law enforcement that I have a concealed carry permit and a loaded weapon in the vehicle. How would you like to proceed?" Have ID in hand before reaching the checkpoint.

Texas does not require a permit for a loaded weapon in your vehicle. I think they recently changed the notification requiremants to must notify if you are armed. Texas has a pretty good website check there.

WNM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thats when you preface the sentabce with something like this.

"Sir I am unsure of the proper protocal for this in Texas, but in my home state I am required to notify law enforcement that I have a concealed carry permit and a loaded weapon in the vehicle. How would you like to proceed?" Have ID in hand before reaching the checkpoint.

Texas does not require a permit for a loaded weapon in your vehicle. I think they recently changed the notification requiremants to must notify if you are armed. Texas has a pretty good website check there.

I don't think you could go wrong using this as a guideline.

Latest posts

Top Bottom