How to handle Border Patrol checkpoint?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Go_Ordnance

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

411.205. REQUIREMENT TO DISPLAY LICENSE.

(a) If a license holder is carrying a handgun on or about the license holder's person when a magistrate or a peace officer demands that the license holder display identification, the license holder shall display both the license holder's driver's license or identification certificate issued by the department and the license holder's handgun license.

At the checkpoint I went through last month, they didn't ask for identification. They only asked if I was a citizen, and what my destination was. Since no identification was demanded by the border patrol agent (who I assume would be considered a "peace officer" in this statute), I would be under no obligation to present a CCW permit. Should they ask for identification, the clause to notify should apply.

I'm not an attorney, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express...

No.343

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't know about the BP, but I was pulled over by the Texas HP a few years ago. I handed him my license and CC permit and told him where my pistol was located. He went back to his car for a few minutes. When he came back he asked me I if I promised to slow down if he gave me just a warning. We talked small talk about our military service. He gave me my warning and credentials and I had a nice day. I did slow down :P

penman53

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Coming out of Las Cruces NM I had to stop at a Border Patrol checkpoint all he asked was if everyone in the vehicle was a US citizen. I said yes and he said thanks have a nice day.
That's all there was to it.

zork

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We must have gone thru the I-25 Border Patrol checkpoint N. of Las Cruces, NM over a hundred times. Always had a loaded pistol in a holster under the front seat. Like previously said, the officer would just ask us if we were citizens and let us go.

Now, if you had been driving a 4x4, and just before the checkpoint had gone cross country thru the wire fence and onto the dirt road on the East side of
I-25, I'd guarantee you a more interesting visit.....:yikes2:

zork

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
And that's what I like about you. You covert the full spectrum of personal defense. No stone unturned.

One can hide a lot of gats under a sombrero! The tequila is just a red herring to divert their attention....

english kanigit

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just drove back from Brownsville monday. It was my first time through the checkpoint north of Harlingen.

While easy to deal with it isn't necessarily right.

Wait your place in line. When you pull up to talk with the officer standing beside the road answer what he asks you politely and truthfully. Pray the dog (for drugs or explosives?) doesn't get a wild hair and key in on the beef jerky you have for snacks. Once they are satisfied you are on your way.

I was asked if my girlfriend and myself were citizens of the United States. Then we were told to be on our way. No IDs were checked.

YMMV, don't act hinky. They seem as perturbed by the situation as we are.

Ek

Jon3830

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
about 6 years ago we were driving back to ft irwin near barstow from san diego and we got caught in the checkpoint. in a big white van with govt. plates and all 10 of us in uniform and the guy walks up and asks if we were u.s citizens he got pissed when we all started laughing at him.

Latest posts

Top Bottom