Huge explosion in Beirut

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HFS

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
An article I read said that those grain silos house about 80% of the countries grain supplies. That’s another unfortunate event. Like someone else posted I am really shocked that those towers didn’t go up. I guess they must’ve been full to the top without much dust in them

It it holds most of their grain, then those folks might be eating some pretty CRUNCHY bread and biscuits for a while.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
One man's attempt to explain why the initial explosion plume is brick red.

At one point in the video he mistakenly identifies the grain spilled out as the soil. He then contradicts himself several times with the explanation of heat rate and chemical coloring. It is interesting though.

THAT Gurl

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Man I dunno. My science background is in biology not in blowing **** up but that second explosion is amazing to watch. To be honest I am absolutely flabbergasted the death toll isn't MUCH higher. I'd be interested in the number of folks with long-term effects from the shockwave that came off that thing. I still can't believe those grain silos weren't flattened.

Truckdriver

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
One man's attempt to explain why the initial explosion plume is brick red.

At one point in the video he mistakenly identifies the grain spilled out as the soil. He then contradicts himself several times with the explanation of heat rate and chemical coloring. It is interesting though.

Heh.
An ammonium nitrate explosion produces massive amounts of nitrogen oxides. Nitrogen dioxide (NO₂) is a red, bad-smelling gas. Images from Beirut reveal a distinct reddish colour to the plume of gases from the blast.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/...nitrate-the-chemical-that-exploded-in-beirut/

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
But another ship across the harbor was capsized. Pressure waves do freaky things.

After the Murray building bombing, I drove down the street to the North and saw where store front windows were blown out while stores adjacent suffered no damage to glass.
The pressure wave ricocheted from left to right.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Man I dunno. My science background is in biology not in blowing **** up but that second explosion is amazing to watch. To be honest I am absolutely flabbergasted the death toll isn't MUCH higher. I'd be interested in the number of folks with long-term effects from the shockwave that came off that thing. I still can't believe those grain silos weren't flattened.

The second explosion after the fireworks was covered in water vapor from the explosion at the waters edge.

High humidity’s in other blast zones not related to beruit can give the same image initially.

Latest posts

Top Bottom