Hunting rifle ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

excat

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A 243 or a 308 are good all around guns. Both are generally easy to find ammo for and have a large ammo selection.

.243 ammo has been pretty hard to come by in OKC, at least at any of the south metro locations, unless you want to buy Uncle Ted's ammo and break the bank.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've had buddy's make "proper placement" shots on big bucks in the NW part of the state with ARs and never find the animal. .

I would argue the "proper Placement", proper bullet, or their tracking skills are lacking. I've never had one go more than 40 yds after being shot with a 55 grain Nosler soft point.

30BulletHoles

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Okay, I wanted an AR 15 in 5.56 for fun and to hunt with, however, as I do research I see the AR in 5.56 is not necessarily the best caliber to hunt deer with. How about coyotes and boar?

Should I look at a larger caliber rifle? A 30-06 for the deer?

Money dictates only one rifle right now so getting both wil not be happening for some time.

I've never been hunting for anything but would like to start.

Ok judging from the OP it is my opinion that he should get something larger than a .223 to hunt deer with. I know all the hoopla of .223 being the do all round that can kill anything with proper shot placement.

Having never hunted himself, it would be my opinion that one would want to stack the odds in his favor by not having to make a perfect shot in order to get clean kill and not have to track the damn deer across half the countryside if a perfect shot isnt made.

For the price of an AR15 you can buy a much better all around caliber to hunt with plus some decent optics to put on it.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would argue the "proper Placement", proper bullet, or their tracking skills are lacking. I've never had one go more than 40 yds after being shot with a 55 grain Nosler soft point.

With them NOT finding the deer, proper bullet and placement is arguable. Tracking?, well, they didn't find it. We tracked a doe that a guy in deer camp asked for help finding, claiming he made a 'perfect' shot, but could not find a trail. I found a very light blood trail, followed the trail 1/4 of a mile and then spotted her standing in a thicket. Shot her in the head and found his 'perfect' shot to be a grazing belly shot that was barely bleeding and if lethal, would have been a very slow death.

Same here, Dennis, none over 40 yrds, most dropped in their tracks, 7 were large, mature bucks. I'm no Quigley or Comanche tracker, but I have never shot a deer I did not recover. I believe in my guns and my ammo.

I see no problem with the OP getting an AR, if that's what he wants. For the money and his intended use, I believe he would be better served with a bolt action in ANY caliber from .243 - .30-06, and PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE.

carleb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
OP, no the 223 is not the "best" choice for deer sized game, but with precision shooting at various ranges and the right bullet, it will work ok. It will whack a coyote like lightning. However, nearly every hunter should have a decent 30-06. They border on being a little big actually for most Oklahoma whitetails, but if you ever do anything beyond deer they can reach so well into other bigger game. Sounds like you don't need to actually do anything right now, other than have a quality optic and practice, but when you are ready it seems logical to move into a quality bolt action rifle. The 30-06 can easily move into the 300-400 meter range and that is well beyond anything I'm comfortable with in a 223 on deer sized game.

Maverick1911

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I like dual use guns....a .308 is not enough to wear out your shoulder too fast so you can plink with it plus it will drop anything around here. Hey, if you are partial to the AR platform buy one in .308.

Massasauga

Marksman
Reaction score

Tracking skills maybe, but most of these guys are more of the shooter type rather than hunters. I've never lost a deer myself, but I can tell you that I hunt trophy animals that will dress out close to or over 200 lbs. I can't imagine "risking" a shot on a giant with a 55 or 62 grain pill. I have to crack a smile when someone brings up "Oklahoma Whitetails" like ours are weaker or exceedingly smaller than whitetails in other states.

Latest posts

Top Bottom