Why get an AR-9?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
In my time in the ER, I have found quite the opposite. Bird shot doesn't penetrate to the vital organs, the shot pattern breaks up within inches of hitting flesh. Definitely painful, but not fatal.

Exactly. Like road rash. Bird shot is a horrible idea for defense. Better than a sharp stick, maybe, but as far as defensive loads go, it sucks. That's not to say a person shot with it isn't going to wish they hadn't been shot with it...but it's far from the most effective load.

Jgibs0321

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Considering you can use 22lr for training w/ various types of AR-style rifles, why would you ever reach for an AR-9 over an AR-15 for something other than training?

If SHTF, would you be slinging your AR-9 and 9mm Glock so you have ammo and mag compatibility?

Is there a case to be made to ditch 5.56 and go 9mm and 308 only as your bugout type calibers? ORRR is 9mm pistol and 5.56 rifle the better pair and forget about anything larger?

Just curious how an AR-9 fits into your safe for anything other than cheaper plinking?
I think PCCs and submachine guns are stupid. Why not just use a real rifle cartridge in an SBR and call it a day! And with that, I drool over owning a hunk of junk with a horrible trigger called a MP5 or AP5 from Century Arms. I think a PCC or semi auto sub gun in a short barrel configuration as intended make great home defense guns or vehicle weapons where you know you wont be taking shots beyond 50 yards. People throw fits about terminal ballistics and Id ask “how many people have you shot?” At the end of the day, whether we are shooting ball ammo or the latest and greatest bonded soft point, 22 LR - 50BMG, its the same principle, fire on target until the desired effect on said target is achieved.

For those who cant handle the recoil of a 556 or 300 BO, or dont want to pay, I think the 9mm or 5.7 carbines are a good choice and better than a rimfire cartridge, train to shoot fast and not miss! Im personally looking at some of CMMGs offerings in 9mm, it suppresses well too!

aarondhgraham

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yanno, I love these debates,,,
Invariably there will be salient comments on both sides,,,
As well as some absolutely insane and hilarious justifications both pro and con.

But in reality I feel it comes down to one answer:

Considering you can use 22lr for training w/ various types of AR-style rifles, why would you ever reach for an AR-9 over an AR-15 for something other than training?

Because it's what you decided you want to do.

It's really that simple my friends.

I once purchased a Hi-Point 995 TS,,,
Just so I could go out with my buddies who had 9mm carbines,,,
And destroy some dead household appliance out in my buddies back 40.

No one was more surprised than me as to how reliable that carbine is,,,
And considering that in any home defense situation I can imagine,,,
The maximum range will be about 20 yards, it's "enough gun".

I only wish it had something in between the 10 round and 25 round mags.

And before someone else says it first,,,
That Hi-Point is absolutely fugly!

Aarond

Two Gun Warrior

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If they made it to the ER, still in need of emergency care, the birdshot didn't do the job. Those people were likely still able to do harm if they were determined.
Most rooms are not over 20 feet across. The pattern of the bird shot out of an 18 inch barrel is not but about 6 inches, at that distance. Depending on the choke. That is going to ruin a perps day, especially if you hit the right place. I would prefer #4 or large shot, not 7.5 or 8.

Latest posts

Top Bottom