Huntng - for or against and why?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The #1 reason for hunting is conservation IMHO.

Eating what you shoot is fine as long as its edible. Not all game taken can go on the dinner plate.

I'm part of a group that has an area overran with deer. We do what we legally can to control the herd in cooperation with the Wildlife Department. None of us want to see them starve to death or see them at the point of starvation. What few trees we have are eaten up to the browse line, and stay that way year around. They eat all they can reach. Fortunately Agriculture helps supply them with food, but in these dry years, the deer are eating their way into the paychecks of the people than farm the land.

At the same time we are over ran with armadillo's, predators, etc.
In states or even city's that have outlawed trapping and shooting predators are having problems with predators coming into neighborhoods killing pets, spreading their diseases, etc.

In California where they have outlawed cougar hunting, humans have been stalked and killed because the predators no longer have an ingrained fear of humans.

In New Jersey, black bear attacks on humans are on the rise as populations increase because of a ban on bear hunting.

I prefer to kill and eat an animal that hasn't spent its life walking around in its own excrement, being fed chemicals and hormones to make it grow faster.
I made the comment earlier that in 27 years of marriage, my family has never bought one pound of ground meat from a store. I provide it.

We have never bought a package of frozen fish that may have been improperly handled. I provide the fish.

I'm a hunter and fisherman and I'm dammed proud of that title.

nofearfactor

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Eating what you shoot is fine as long as its edible. Not all game taken can go on the dinner plate.

I'm part of a group that has an area overran with deer. We do what we legally can to control the herd in cooperation with the Wildlife Department. None of us want to see them starve to death or see them at the point of starvation. What few trees we have are eaten up to the browse line, and stay that way year around. They eat all they can reach. Fortunately Agriculture helps supply them with food, but in these dry years, the deer are eating their way into the paychecks of the people than farm the land.

In states or even city's that have outlawed trapping and shooting predators are having problems with predators coming into neighborhoods killing pets, spreading their diseases, etc.

In California where they have outlawed cougar hunting, humans have been stalked and killed because the predators no longer have an ingrained fear of humans.

In New Jersey, black bear attacks on humans are on the rise as populations increase because of a ban on bear hunting.

I prefer to kill and eat an animal that hasn't spent its life walking around in its own excrement, being fed chemicals and hormones to make it grow faster.
I made the comment earlier that in 27 years of marriage, my family has never bought one pound of ground meat from a store. I provide it.

We have never bought a package of frozen fish that may have been improperly handled. I provide the fish.

This.

Eagle Eye

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
+1 for DH
Pick you favorite theme song and play in your head as you read DH's post.

Personally, I know not of the troubles you described, but I empathize. I too think we have to take an active role to keep "the players" on this planet in balance, and that includes managing deer/predator/you name it populations. Balance is hard to achieve, and is constantly changing. Fortunately there are still people that go outside and see for themselves the unbalance, and hopefully are empowered to influence it for better.

FredNOk

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

That's a very good point Dennis. Not many people see that side of the equation on hunting. To add to the post, I have no problem shooting a skunk if need be because alot of them carry rabies.
Not only is it a safety concern for other life forms that can contract rabies from a bite, it is inhumane to keep them alive and let them suffer from the disease.

maat

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Bravo!!!!!!

Latest posts

Top Bottom