I’m old enough to remember when...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
i'm old enough to remember school busses were nonexistent. We walked-yes in snow, rain or sunshine two miles to grade school. That was in 1953 and in 1960 you could buy a used car for $50-$200. unfortunately, I went through several of them and traffic citations until I learned my lesson ( i had a running account at the local Justice of The Peace) and joined the military at $78.00 entry pay per month. I am not proud of the reckless way I drove.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i'm old enough to remember school busses were nonexistent.
Dang, man, how far back in the sticks did you live? My dad told us about my grandpa lighting into the school system because my dad and aunt had to walk two miles up a section road to catch the school bus. That would've been around 1950.

RugersGR8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I am old enough to remember having to use the outhouse when visiting grandparents and having to bring in the water from the windmill(both sides of the family). My mother(brothers and sister) had to walk about 1.5 miles(one way) - 3 miles (round trip) across field/fences to go to a one room school(mid to late 1940’s) and dad had to walk about .5 mile.

Last edited:

RugersGR8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was a paper boy for the Philadelphia Evening Bulletin, while I was living at the Jersey shore. In the summertime, we had a newspaper honor box on the corner of our front yard (our house was on the main street running the length of the island I lived on.) Every afternoon, I'd put in 10 papers (at 10 cents a piece.) Sometime during the next morning, I go retrieve the leftover papers. If there were two papers left, there was 80 cents in the coin tube.

The box I'm thinking of is so old there's no pictures of it anywhere on the internet! I was a rectangular metal box with a plastic window on the front and an open left side. it was on metal feet and had a metal coin drop tube welded onto it. You stuck the papers in the box and people took them out after dropping the money into the tube. No mechanics at all.

I remember newspaper vending stands like this link in front of the drug/grocery stores: https://www.ebay.com/i/114040895780...MI1q69iend7gIVJDizAB2yNwzYEAQYASABEgKRmfD_BwE

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am old enough to remember having to use the outhouse when visiting grandparents and having to bring in the water from the windmill(both sides of the family). My mother(brothers and sister) had to walk about 1.5 miles(one way) - 3 miles (round trip) across field/fences to go to a one room school(mid to late 1940’s) and dad had to walk about .5 mile.
I remember using our outhouse until I was 9. Dad's uncle came to live with us after his wife passed, and Dad was afraid the outhouse would be too much for him in cold weather.

My job was to empty the "slop jar" in the mornings and bring it back into the house in the evenings.
:drunk2:

Slim Deal

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was just waiting to read that they walked miles to school in the snow uphill both ways. That was the story I used to hear.
Mine is not a story but real. we lived at the edge of town and no school bus service in the city. We walked 4 blocks in all weather to grade school. In Jr High we did in fact walk 2.5 miles in the rain, snow, heat to school and back. We only had one car and the old man used it to go to work. Mom didn't have a drivers license until I was in the 9th grade.

OKCHunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Old enuff to have been Dad's remote control on TV

This^^^. And, we thought we had arrived when we got one of these.

IMG_1472.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom