I am part of the neckbeards....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

THAT Gurl

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'll agree with that, if he looks to replace it. He did what he did out of charity and trying to help someone out, but of course, (many) people today will show you that living your life charitably can be painful when you find you've been taken advantage of.

True dat!

saddlebum

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you have never known or experienced this , .22 rimfire will not last near as long as centerfire ammo. I had a box of .22 mag that I bought new in 1996 and about 2008 about half of it wouldn't fire. I had a lady take the SDA from me and she had a .22 pistol. Her ammo was a white box with the red diamond CCI. So I don't know how old they were but, most of them wouldn't fire. I rotate my stock on rimfire and try to shoot up the older stuff first.
last sunday I fired 400 rnds of 22lr and 250rnds of 22 mag that my dad bought in 1968 the receipt was in the bag with it when I inherited it. not one single failure. i'm 60 years old and never experienced what you have with rimfire ammo

THAT Gurl

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
last sunday I fired 400 rnds of 22lr and 250rnds of 22 mag that my dad bought in 1968 the receipt was in the bag with it when I inherited it. not one single failure. i'm 60 years old and never experience what you have with rimfire ammo

We've had the same experience. Grumpy and I got together in 2000. He had .22 that had a TG&Y sticker on it that he had bought when he was in high school (early 80s). That ammo had been to hell and back. It fired just fine. I'm pretty sure there is still some of it around here somewhere -- kept it as a memento -- but I wouldn't hesitate to stick it in a .22 and blast away. Or at least try to.

Oh and I didn't know you were younger than me! LOL

saddlebum

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We've had the same experience. Grumpy and I got together in 2000. He had .22 that had a TG&Y sticker on it that he had bought when he was in high school (early 80s). That ammo had been to hell and back. It fired just fine. I'm pretty sure there is still some of it around here somewhere -- kept it as a memento -- but I wouldn't hesitate to stick it in a .22 and blast away. Or at least try to.

mine was from TG&Y and western auto ..........you look younger than me

aarondhgraham

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have one friend who I am inclined to share my stash with,,,
He is the hardest working family man I've ever met,,,
He's supporting a wife and five kids aged 1 to 15.

When I see ammo on the shelves I always call him,,,
And ask if he wants me to pick up some for him.

Usually he doesn't have the cash at that moment,,,
So I have been known to buy some extra for him and "hold" it.

He doesn't get to take his three oldest shooting very often,,,
But when he does they go through ammo like locusts in a wheat field.

This man named his youngest son after me,,,
If he needs ammo and I have some,,,
It's definitely his.

Aarond

xseler

These are not the firearms you're looking for.
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

I've also never had a problem with old .22 ammo. I can say that all my older stuff is in Tupperware containers with one of those little dessicant bags. If any moisture gets in the container, it won't be much -- and the little bag takes care of that.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Here's one way to look at. If you coddle people that don't stock up when times are good..... then they'll never learn. I've seen a situation like Kurt described, I've also seen situations where the same people I know whine about ammo each and every fawkin time this happens. So they need to learn to stock up, reload, or do whatever it takes to be prepared. Hell I just had this conversation the other day with a buddy of mine. If you owned guns through the Obama administration you've should've learned your lesson by now.

Latest posts

Top Bottom