I built an electric bicycle

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Cleaning the back yard and sheds and I knew I had plenty of things to build a couple electric bicycles.

I had stuff laying around the yard and decided to use some of it.

Crude but goes down the road. I need smaller batteries.
I have it hooked up as 24 volt with this 36 volt rated motor.
Up the hill to the stop sign it goes 13 mph and down it hit 20 mph.
only about a 4 degree slope.

Not much torque set up like this and I will get 36 volts on it some time and see if it's better.
Just a 2 wheel solid hand truck wheel attached to the shaft and spins against the rear tire.

Light switch to turn it on taped to the handle bars.
Notice the flat steel that I attached the motor to and at the end I put a heavy spring to put tension on the wheel.

002.JPG
005.JPG

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The chain hook up thing was my first thought and I robbed parts off another multi speed bicycle but the chain on those are not solid they will slack up and too many idlers would be needed as I would need to twist the chain 3/4 of the way around the gear.

I tried that for 2 hours and gave up.

This was just for test purposes and I drove it up and down the street a dozen times to work out bugs.
Final attempt will house the batteries in a box or welded cage.

Need a different kick stand also.

I get the bike going about 5 mph and then flip the light switch on the handle bars to apply juice to the motor otherwise it will spin against the tire for a bit.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
For sure you’d need a wheelie bar!
yes I would.
Old guy neighbor told me they hooked up 1/2" drive air impacts to a go cart once and had 100 feet of hose and a guy at the beginning of the hose ready to unhook it when they got close to the end.

450 lb of TQ on each of those impacts he said it would go 100 feet in nothing flat.

I have a couple of side shaft engines and some 2 stroke weed eaters laying around also.
I may get a bit more frogy soon.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Cleaning the back yard and sheds and I knew I had plenty of things to build a couple electric bicycles.

I had stuff laying around the yard and decided to use some of it.

Crude but goes down the road. I need smaller batteries.
I have it hooked up as 24 volt with this 36 volt rated motor.
Up the hill to the stop sign it goes 13 mph and down it hit 20 mph.
only about a 4 degree slope.

Not much torque set up like this and I will get 36 volts on it some time and see if it's better.
Just a 2 wheel solid hand truck wheel attached to the shaft and spins against the rear tire.

Light switch to turn it on taped to the handle bars.
Notice the flat steel that I attached the motor to and at the end I put a heavy spring to put tension on the wheel.

View attachment 285287View attachment 285288
That’s pretty dang cool!!! :thumb:

Latest posts

Top Bottom