I built an electric bicycle

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I get the bike going about 5 mph and then flip the light switch on the handle bars to apply juice to the motor otherwise it will spin against the tire for a bit.
I could see the rubber marks on the power wheel. Figured it had been spinning on the tire.
Awesome Project!

Last edited:

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I will keep posting on results and post if the thing burns up also.

I could see the rubber marks on the power wheel. Figured it had been spinning on the tire.
Awesome Project!
Yes it will spin the power wheel if you give it too much throttle too soon.
You must ramp up to full power.
So you do not get that awesome jolt pulling out of the hole that a real electric bike gives you.

Aries

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thinking of starting a fat tire bike fund, swamp rat needs more traction ;)
Yeah, I dunno my feeling is that if swampratt wants more traction, he will make some out of empty vasaline bottles or something. I mean, he's not God... he can't create something out of nothing, but he can sure make something out of leftover parts from the kit he found at a flea market to repair his Mr. Coffee. He is the most resourceful person I've ever heard of.:rollingla

Matt Giroux

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Can confirm it works, is pretty fun, and he is indeed using it to run errands like picking up reloading supplies!🫣

Attachments

• 92EB835D-D284-4AAD-A202-71E1110A04D2.jpeg
    92EB835D-D284-4AAD-A202-71E1110A04D2.jpeg
    106.9 KB · Views: 0

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I rode almost 14 miles so far on a single charge.
10 of them today at high noon.
Still sweaty. as I do pedal to get it going to keep the initial load off the motor and controller as I found out if i let it load up it will pop the 30 amp fuse in the motor controller.

I then have to pedal back home and cut zip ties- unscrew top cover plate and pull fuse.

I made an access hole in the cover plate to remove the fuses with pliers. Cover plate is full of holes anyway.
I have pliers on the bike and fuses in my pocket.
No more blown fuses today as I am ready for them and know what causes it.

The electric motor got hot enough after the long ride today that power was dropping way off and you could smell the motor.
You know that slight burned electrical paint smell.

I will add aluminum heat sinks to the motor.
I have a bunch of aluminum frame work off of a Harbor freight green house I will use.
Hose clamp those around the motor.
Get some of that heat out.

Latest posts

Top Bottom