I done a bad, bad thing....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

n8thegr8

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thread file should be here tomorrow, in the meantime, I got the front sight on and got the barrel pressed in about 3/4 of the way with the allthread approach before the allthread stripped. Thinking about picking up a bar clamp to try pookies method, I really don't want to buy a press...

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thats correct, it won't match perfectly, 55 degree, thread. 60 degree file, but 40+ years of expereince, (tool&die,machineshop,+guns) says it will work. Also the thread pattern on a mauser is the same deal, 55 degrees on the receiver, but the barrel threads are USUALLY, cut at 60 degrees. Finally I own them and have used them, but I have not had a great deal of success with thread files. the actual best way to do it would be to set it up in a lathe, set the correct pitch, and use the lead screw to chase the threads.

He doesn't have a lathe. I directed him to the thread files, as chasing threads on a lathe on a piece that already has threads is best left to experts like you.

Thread files are pretty bullet proof for 99% of cleaning threads.

gaseous maximus

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
He doesn't have a lathe. I directed him to the thread files, as chasing threads on a lathe on a piece that already has threads is best left to experts like you.

Thread files are pretty bullet proof for 99% of cleaning threads.
I'm sorry dennis, didn't mean to be a smart ass. Ex= has been, spurt= drip under pressure. That pretty well defines me. And I am glad that it worked for him.

frankos72

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Try sears. They usally carry a set of thread files.

Either them or you could order some from fastenal.

If you don't have any luck. I think I have a metric thread file at home. I can ship it to you to use. I will check tonight.

The one I have is like this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zBiZ0qvwVw

Okay this is freakin awesome. I can't tell you how many times I could use 1 of these at work. You can bet I'll be stopping by fastenaltoday to pick 1 up. Thanks again to OSA for another great education.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

n8thegr8

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thank me by posting some pics of this project!

Well, i tried to do the bar clamp trick like on pookies website, and got the barrel to go in another mm or so, but the barrel looked like it was starting to bend...

I'll be picking up a 12 ton press from HF after my tax return comes in before I seriously fook this thing up, lol. Lesson learned...

Latest posts

Top Bottom