I like this....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lone Wolf '49

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A degree is just q piece of paper until you have a job that you otherwise would not have been able to obtain otherwise. And I bet we would be shocked at the number of degree holders out there that are competing against regular high school diplomas for the same job and loosing due to work record, and staggered by the number of diplomas holding jobs that are not using the education at all.

So I see what you are saying it can seem like a degree is just another subject to add to the resume to make the person seem interesting. And depending on the degree and the attitude of interviewee it can sometimes even say "I majored in mommy and daddy paid to send me away to party for four years, and now I need a job and have no idea what I'm supposed to do with this piece of paper.

Do not get me wrong, education is important, but I thing the substance is more important than the wrapper. One should figure out what they want in life and work twords that, not the other way around just because saying " I go to or went to this university" makes them feel better.

I also like most of what the letter says, my only peeve is the usual assumption from people saying these sort of thongs is " because they pay to rent an apparent" they are better than someone who has the support of their parents as the too work 30+ hours a week to go to school without loans; and live at home.

Ya' know, again, if you will. In my old day it did, the full degree, but and I am serious here, from what I gather from my young friends I believe you are so correct. Get a tech degree or whatever. I have several young friends in the 45th younger than my daughters and that is one great career not to mention all of the others in the private sector. That liberal arts degree that I have seen ain't worth crap in the real world unless you know some one. Just sayin', and again what does this old fool know.
Good night and good luck.

Shoot Summ

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think the point was missed.

I saw the protests in DC a couple of weeks ago when I was there. They made a big deal out of the 1%, and were trying to unify the "99%".

I'm not in the 99% either even though I am not in the top 1% of earners, I don't want to be grouped with the "99%'".....

71buickfreak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I spent 5 years in college, racked up thousands in debt and ended up getting lost in all the BS. I left college without a degree. 12 years later, I have written 4 books, over 500 magazine articles, and have built a reputation in my industry. College is a good thing, but its not for everybody. Having a degree makes things easier, but I worked my @ss off to build my reputation the hard way and I loved every minute of it.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I work in an office where I'm the only one without a degree. I do not earn the least, nor am I the one with the least skills. I have had the highest stats in my office for 3 years running. I've worked my butt off to get where I am and to stay there. The so called 99% have within their ranks a high percentage of what I call the 10%. Every field and area of expertise has them and they consistently underachieve, all while pretending that it's not their fault. Yet they all have one thing in common, they fail to reach their goals on a consistent basis.

We will never get rid of the 10%. The real question is, why do we as a society value their opinions on anything?

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Nothing wrong with getting a college degree, nothing wrong with not getting one.
Just follow your passion.
Don't spend more than you make.
Enjoy life.
Simple enough.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Nothing wrong with getting a college degree, nothing wrong with not getting one.
Just follow your passion.
Don't spend more than you make.
Enjoy life.
Simple enough.

Old Fart speak the truth from point of wisdom. Oft acquired by virtue of expereince; most often a function of age and not education. But I still love and support higher education, it opens up more oportunities to those people who are willing, able, and in a position to take advantage of it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom