I want to build an outdoor range

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okieboomer1

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I helped build a couple of private ranges. Noise was reduced by using cedars for a very dense tree line on both sides of the range...as we all know, they grow fast, and are hard to kill. I have used the concrete drainage sections on an Army range ...IMHO it actually reduced noise....maybe.

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Another example would be what happened in Ponca City. The VFW sponsored the Rifle & Pistol range ever since I could remember and then... some developer put in high end homes on the hill overlooking the lake and down the road from the range. After they got the zoning approved and built a few houses, they then sought a way to shut down the range because of the possible danger of rounds going over the berm, up the hill and into their homes. The developer won the war.

Sesh, Food for thought! I am a born and raised farm boy but the farm is long gone and I live in town. All of my life I thought if you lived out side the city limits you could do anything you wanted to do as long as it was legal! Here is why I am telling this, Over east of me about 30 miles as the crow flies is the MoKan Drag strip that drag strip has been there for at least 60 years, here 15 years ago or so some Rich City man bought 1000's of acres of land right west of the drag strip, he fenced all his land in and put excotic animals on his land, the drag strip is closed in the winter months as soon as they opened for the year this rich guy filed a law suite against the drag strip owner (he lives in Tulsa) anyway the rich guy didn't win his law suite but the owner of the strip spent a TON on money. So right to the point, in Civil Law, ANYONE can file a law suite against ANYONE for ANY reason.
Just a thought, you might what to go visit those in that housing distric.
I wish you the very best, and i have been looking for a place to put in a range myself!
Greg

sesh

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Another example would be what happened in Ponca City. The VFW sponsored the Rifle & Pistol range ever since I could remember and then... some developer put in high end homes on the hill overlooking the lake and down the road from the range. After they got the zoning approved and built a few houses, they then sought a way to shut down the range because of the possible danger of rounds going over the berm, up the hill and into their homes. The developer won the war.

That is what I am leery of, it is a pretty high end neighborhood over my back fence. I have met a couple of them over the fence while I'm mowing or clearing deadfall, they seem pretty nice but I haven't approached the subject of firearms.

okshooters

Marksman
Reaction score
Most non shooting folks i know would be on you butt for the noise. do it right or it will likely bite you in the long run after you spent a bunch of time and money setting it up.

Latest posts

Top Bottom