I want to build an outdoor range

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tslabaugh

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sesh,

I have a similar setup at my parents....

We shoot from the pond dam (pond no longer holds water) into the creek embankments. It is a 100yd range but can shoot up to 150 if you get at the right angle. We could take it a little farther but it would take some massive tree clearing.

We are shooting at about a 10-20* decline toward the target and then there are roughly 10-12 foot embankments behind that. If we didn't have the embankments, I would definitely build a backstop.

As for neighbors, we have a neighbor to the west about the same distance as yours are. His house and shed are almost even with the dam we shoot from so you would have to turn 90* to shoot in his direction. He is a very unfriendly guy anyways. The only "complaint" my buddies and I have gotten is once we were shooting and in between shots you could hear him scream " HEY *******". I pretended I didn't hear him and haven't had anyone say we couldn't shoot out in the country on our own property.

Cacinok

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sesh, I built a shooting range on the back of my property. Pistol range is level and about 30 yards. Rifle range is roughly 125 yards and is slightly down hill. Eventually, I plan on extending the range out to 200 -250 yards, but I'll have to clear some trees and move the range.

My pond is dry most of the year, so I've been digging it deeper and using the dirt for the back stop. I've just used my 35 hp tractor w/ FEL and box blade. Renting a bulldozer would make quick work of the range.

Regarding the noise, you may or may not have problems. It depends on the sheriffs department. In the county where I live, the LEOs don't care if and/or when you're shooting, unless the neighbors complain about the noise. Too many complaints and the LEOs don't have much choice but to pay you a visit. A buddy of mine has had this problem. A couple moved out from the city and every time he shoots, they call the sheriff and file a noise complaint. He's never got a ticket, but the local LEOs have to make a trip out and ask him to stop. When I was there and it happened, the LEOs actually apologized for having to come out. So some noise attenuation is a good idea. I don't know if your local LEOs will care, but a little bit of prevention goes a long way.

sesh

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'd like to hustle 50 yards worth of big culvert pipe (8 ft diam. Or bigger) and build a shooting tunnel
Build it so it drains... Hang some lights an add a target trolly...

That would be cool, but wouldn't it be extremely loud inside the culvert? I'd have to upgrade my hearing protection:)

Sesh,

I have a similar setup at my parents....

We shoot from the pond dam (pond no longer holds water) into the creek embankments. It is a 100yd range but can shoot up to 150 if you get at the right angle. We could take it a little farther but it would take some massive tree clearing.

We are shooting at about a 10-20* decline toward the target and then there are roughly 10-12 foot embankments behind that. If we didn't have the embankments, I would definitely build a backstop.

As for neighbors, we have a neighbor to the west about the same distance as yours are. His house and shed are almost even with the dam we shoot from so you would have to turn 90* to shoot in his direction. He is a very unfriendly guy anyways. The only "complaint" my buddies and I have gotten is once we were shooting and in between shots you could hear him scream " HEY *******". I pretended I didn't hear him and haven't had anyone say we couldn't shoot out in the country on our own property.

My problem is, there's a place that would be almost even with my backstop. It would make me uncomfortable as I'm sure they will be. But, I think if I push a nice tall berm over that way too it would make me feel more comfortable.

Sesh, I built a shooting range on the back of my property. Pistol range is level and about 30 yards. Rifle range is roughly 125 yards and is slightly down hill. Eventually, I plan on extending the range out to 200 -250 yards, but I'll have to clear some trees and move the range.

My pond is dry most of the year, so I've been digging it deeper and using the dirt for the back stop. I've just used my 35 hp tractor w/ FEL and box blade. Renting a bulldozer would make quick work of the range.

Regarding the noise, you may or may not have problems. It depends on the sheriffs department. In the county where I live, the LEOs don't care if and/or when you're shooting, unless the neighbors complain about the noise. Too many complaints and the LEOs don't have much choice but to pay you a visit. A buddy of mine has had this problem. A couple moved out from the city and every time he shoots, they call the sheriff and file a noise complaint. He's never got a ticket, but the local LEOs have to make a trip out and ask him to stop. When I was there and it happened, the LEOs actually apologized for having to come out. So some noise attenuation is a good idea. I don't know if your local LEOs will care, but a little bit of prevention goes a long way.

Even outside city limits they have to come out and ask you to stop? See, that's where I'm at with it, I just don't know so I need to give the County Mounties a call and see what the policies are.

You guys are awesome, thanks for all the suggestions, ideas, and offers for help. I'm still probably at least a month away, and probably longer, from getting this project started so keep the advice coming.

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I didn't realize that LEO could even ask you to stop because of noise when you're not in the city limits ?!

Also, If I were you, I'd get a copy of a current map of your area that has structures on it and position the range so that it's facing exactly in the position where shots that go over the berm has the clearest and longest point of impact that is free of houses, etc... At the very least, this will show that you've done due diligence to ensure you're being as safe as possible.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That would be cool, but wouldn't it be extremely loud inside the culvert? I'd have to upgrade my hearing protection:)

Even outside city limits they have to come out and ask you to stop? See, that's where I'm at with it, I just don't know so I need to give the County Mounties a call and see what the policies are.

Take a trip to Bass pro in Springfield Mo. Their indoor rifle range is concrete pipe.
4 foot dia. if I remember. walk near the exhaust vent in the parking lot and you can hear it.

Check your abstract for your property. some places have restrictions even though your in the country.

acelungger

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sesh, Food for thought! I am a born and raised farm boy but the farm is long gone and I live in town. All of my life I thought if you lived out side the city limits you could do anything you wanted to do as long as it was legal! Here is why I am telling this, Over east of me about 30 miles as the crow flies is the MoKan Drag strip that drag strip has been there for at least 60 years, here 15 years ago or so some Rich City man bought 1000's of acres of land right west of the drag strip, he fenced all his land in and put excotic animals on his land, the drag strip is closed in the winter months as soon as they opened for the year this rich guy filed a law suite against the drag strip owner (he lives in Tulsa) anyway the rich guy didn't win his law suite but the owner of the strip spent a TON on money. So right to the point, in Civil Law, ANYONE can file a law suite against ANYONE for ANY reason.
Just a thought, you might what to go visit those in that housing distric.
I wish you the very best, and i have been looking for a place to put in a range myself!
Greg

ToolBox

Marksman
Reaction score
If you are looking for targets and dont want to walk down range all day think about self resetting steel targets. They last a life time, give you instant feedback on your hit and need very little care. contact me if your interested.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have about 9 acres. I live outside city limits. I want to run the range from south to north, there is a tree line on the east and west sides of the field I want to use, it would probably give me 200+ yards.

Curious what is beyond your target berm? How many yards beyond it do you control? That could cause more problems than the subdivision off to the side.

Latest posts

Top Bottom