1. Welcome to Oklahoma Shooters Association! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.
  2. All members receive 3 free listings a month. Get unlimited listings for just $10 a year! Click here for all the info.

Ideas for New Mexico trip?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by tRidiot, Apr 11, 2021.

1. TerryMiller

TerryMiller Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    Speaking of filming locations, when I wrote of the Highway 550 and Highway 50 loop and mentioned the Royal Gorge, I failed to mention another little factoid. As one is going to the Royal Gorge on that side road, one passes a feature on the right that is referred to as Buckskin Joe. It is largely gutted now, but at one time, Buckskin Joe has been used as a "town" for a number of movies. Several years ago, the "town" itself was dismantled, leaving only a tourist trap and a small train that would take one over to an overlook where one could see the gorge and the Royal Gorge Bridge. But, even the train is now gone and the tourist trap is closed. Last I heard, someone is trying to develop that area now for biking and hiking.

I remember Buckskin Joe when it was still a "western town" with shootouts. That was back in the early '60's.

Partial list of films done at Buckskin Joe's.

Film location
    The town was a western movie filming location with more than 21 films to its credit, including Cat Ballou, The Cowboys and The Sacketts. The 1991 television feature Conagher starring Sam Elliott, Katharine Ross, Ken Curtis and Barry Corbin was filmed at Buckskin Joe. Conagher was the last film in which Curtis appeared. The final movie to be filmed at Buckskin Joe was "Cactus Creek"; filming concluded just before the sale of the town was announced.[4]

Partial list of films

chadh2o, BobbyV and harley128 like this.
  2. Okiedog

Okiedog Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    Dropping in elevation and train brakes screaming all the way. Wife and I both had hellacious headaches, and other riders complaining as well.

dennishoddy likes this.
  3. harley128

harley128 Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    97.1%
    I remember that place.......

Also, around Ridgway Co are several locations for the movie True Grit starring John Wayne. You can even dine in town at the True Grit Café........ Another little known fact about Ridgway, is there's a little hole in the wall artist shop-----and inside is the guy that sculpts all the Grammy's for the awards show........ He makes up a batch every year,, then throws them in the back of the truck and heads out for Hollywood.

chadh2o and DRC458 like this.
  4. DRC458

DRC458 Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    I had forgotten all about that place! Yep, kinda' weird, but definitely worth a stop!

5. wawazat

wawazat Sharpshooter

We got married on the Polar Express in Durango over New Years 2020 (it was a great trip and the kids much preferred us getting married in pajamas with hot cocoa and cookies instead of tuxes and whatnot). Durango as a town is amazing and the people were extremely friendly. My parents have done the Durango-Silverton train a few times and always have a great time.

harley128 likes this.
  6. tRidiot

tRidiot Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    I'd go for that kind of wedding, too!

7. BobbyV

BobbyV Uh huh . . . sure

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    MMMMmmmmm . . . Blake's Green Chile burger is pretty dang good.

rawhide and harley128 like this.
  8. BobbyV

BobbyV Uh huh . . . sure

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    If you do go to the 4 Corners Monument . . . Monument Valley really isn't that much farther west. If it's open it's definitely worth the drive too.

9. Poke78

Poke78 Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Monument Valley is operated by the Navajo Tribe and a lot of their areas have been locked down. Know before you go.

AKguy1985 likes this.
  10. BobbyV

BobbyV Uh huh . . . sure

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    Yep. I believe that was brought up previously . . .