Im looking to start reloading

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scooby13dew

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Im thinking about starting reloading. What would I need to start? I want to reload 45acp, 9mm, and 556. I've read that alot of people have trouble with shooting reloads threw Ars is this true?

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have friends that reload for ar's and have better ammo that way than anything you can buy.
A big question is how much do you shoot?

200-500 a year and a single stage press would serve you well.

If you shoot that much a month then a progressive may work quicker for you.

Grumulkin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Im thinking about starting reloading. What would I need to start? I want to reload 45acp, 9mm, and 556. I've read that alot of people have trouble with shooting reloads threw Ars is this true?

You need:

1. A press. I've been happy with single stage presses for many years and have loaded thousands of rounds on them.

2. Dies for each cartridge you wish to reload. Get carbide dies for the straight walled cases as they need no lube.

3. Lube. I recommend Imperial sizing wax.

4. A powder scale.

5. A loading manual or two. And read it/them.

6. A dial indicator or some other way to measure bottlenecked cases to see if they need trimming.

7. Some way to trim cases (you should never have to trim a straight walled case). This can be as simple as a file and trim die.

8. Brass, primer, powder and bullets.

9. A powder measure.

Once you reload you'll decide you need more thingys but the above should get you started.

I've never had any problem reloading for an AR-15 but some platforms are a bit more finicky.

scooby13dew

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I shoot anywhere from 250-1000 every 2 weeks depending on how much time i have. Really looking to start reloading to save some cash. I just bought the abc reloading book thanks.

The big question is what set up should i get to start?

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If i were you i would cast my pistol bullets.
Which i do now. I love my lee pro 1000
You can make any progressives work for you once you figure out their glitches and work over them.

I have all lee carbide dies for my pistols. the carbide crimp die is a must have in my book.
It sizes the case with or without a crimp...it will return a flared loaded case back to straight without a crimp.

The lee disc measure i have is the most accurate powder measure i have used.. besides a beam scale.
for the powders i use in pistol anyway..HP38, AA#5, bullseye , tightgroup, ball powders.
My rifle stuff gets weighed on the 505 beam.

I would in a heart beat get another 505 beam scale.. but not the lee scale.
4-5 hole progressive would be best.

So many ways to go on this subject.
You will get a bunch of money tied up in stuff.
I spent over 2000 last year on primers and powders.
I do not shoot near what you do..
You just keep buying and testing different combo's.

Johnny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I shoot anywhere from 250-1000 every 2 weeks depending on how much time i have. Really looking to start reloading to save some cash. I just bought the abc reloading book thanks.

The big question is what set up should i get to start?

:laughup::rotflmao::rollingla:pms2:

Like Revived stated. You will most likely just shoot more. You might not though. You may have more self control than I ever thought about.

Like swamPratt said, look into casting your own bullets. There was a dude on castboolits.com that was casting his own .223 bullets. He was running them in the 1800 fps range if I remember correctly. With recycled brass he was loading for less than $2.00 a box. That is mighty cheap plinking.

Latest posts

Top Bottom