Im too big for this crap

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A long time ago and in a different galaxy I used to work construction on high rise buildings. You do in fact eventually get used to it, or quit and go into a different field of work, and you get to where you might even become brave (stupid) and get to where it feels normal.
My brother used to do roofing, and he said the same thing about getting used to it. When he started he "stayed close to the roof," but he got used to it pretty quickly and was soon running all over the high-pitched roofs like the other roofers. I'll never forget him with one leg hanging off the roof of my house nailing down the starter course like it was nothing at all.

To quote Ahmed ibn Fahdlan in The 13th Warrior, I do not enjoy heights.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A long time ago and in a different galaxy I used to work construction on high rise buildings. You do in fact eventually get used to it, or quit and go into a different field of work, and you get to where you might even become brave (stupid) and get to where it feels normal.
Back in my work time, a lot of days were spent on man lifts, scaffolding, and sometimes just walking the electrical conduits or cable trays along the ceilings while holding on to the all thread that supported them. No such thing as harnesses and safety ropes. We got our work done just fine. I was part of the EPA crew to monitor stack emissions, so taking the elevator to the top of the 500' stack was not an issue.
Now, it's almost ridiculous with the amount of gear one has to put on and go through to get on a ladder over 6' tall.
I guess the defining moment was having to ride a 250' Condor man lift attached to a 50' semi to the top of the coal transfer tower at the power plant I retired from to replace a transmitter that had been in place since the mid 70's. That ride got me sweating a little.
Now 9 years later, heights concern me. I don't want to die by falling after making it this long.

DDriller

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Working derricks in the oilfield 45 years ago my trip office was 80' off the rig floor, which was 36' off the ground. Once a week had to climb to the top of the rig (136') to grease the crown wheels. No way I could do it today.

aarondhgraham

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
One of the first jobs I had as a teen in the late 60's,,,
Was to climb oil derricks to replace the warning light bulbs.

No safety gear at all so I had to be very careful,,,
Those ladders were in sections and often had come a bit loose

In the Air Force through the 70's,,,
I climbed a lot of radio and microwave towers,

All the safety gear one could want for those climbs,,,
My highest was a tower just over 500 feet tall.

I was okay climbing it but when I got to the top,,,
The "sway" was so much that it made me seasick and I puked.

Now at the ripe old age of 72,,,
I'm careful when I use the step-stool in my kitchen,,,
I never take my foot off the ground until I have a hold onto something.

Getting old ain't for the faint of heart.

Aarond

Latest posts

Top Bottom