In a Centerfire Semi-Auto, Which in General is the Weakest Link?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which mechanical component or piece is most likely to cause a malfunction?

• The Recoil Spring

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The Sear

• The Slide Stop Lever

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Read the whole text of the question please, looking for mechanical or component item...shooter not an option. Thank you.

I read it, gave the answer from my experiences as the shooter IS a component of the whole equation. The question as a whole is pointless to me because different platforms are prone to different weaknesses, if the weaknesses are even significant to begin with. No specific problem will be universal except the shooter.

For instance you've had some "Magazine" replies...... mags aren't a significant problem with glocks across the board, just like with many major platforms. However, with 1911s they can be a problem area as generally stock mags aren't GTG. In the same sense, smaller platforms can have spring problems fairly quickly from my experiences whereas a full size will be more tolerant etc, etc.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I read it, gave the answer from my experiences as the shooter IS a component of the whole equation. The question as a whole is pointless to me because different platforms are prone to different weaknesses, if the weaknesses are even significant to begin with. No specific problem will be universal except the shooter.

For instance you've had some "Magazine" replies...... mags aren't a significant problem with glocks across the board, just like with many major platforms. However, with 1911s they can be a problem area as generally stock mags aren't GTG. In the same sense, smaller platforms can have spring problems fairly quickly from my experiences whereas a full size will be more tolerant etc, etc.

Sorry you missed the point. No soup for you! I was asking about "mechanical" components and the shooter was taken out of the loop; (see option "OTHER" in the poll...clearly says "besides the shooter" ...in other words, the shooter is not to be considered as a variable in this case please. Write on the board 100 times: "the magazine is the cause of most mechanical failures..."

Had I included "the shooter" as an option in the poll you would, IMO be right. But I didn't. So you lose. No soup for you today! :buttkick:

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sorry you missed the point. No soup for you! I was asking about "mechanical" components and the shooter was taken out of the loop; (see option "OTHER" in the poll...clearly says "besides the shooter" ...in other words, the shooter is not to be considered as a variable in this case please. Write on the board 100 times: "the magazine is the cause of most mechanical failures..."

Had I included "the shooter" as an option in the poll you would, IMO be right. But I didn't. So you lose. No soup for you today! :buttkick:

Nope I get the point, I was just curious as to the generality you're trying to make. It's clear now, but I won't be writing anything on a board because factory Glock mags aren't a problem, neither are XD mags from my experiences. :D

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Nope I get the point, I was just curious as to the generality you're trying to make. It's clear now, but I won't be writing anything on a board because factory Glock mags aren't a problem, neither are XD mags from my experiences. :D

Anything mechanical can fail; right? Been shooting Glocks since 1995 and one time, just once mind you, (but it happened), I really, actually, truthfully, did have a Glock mag fail on me, the follower got all out of place somehow and failed to feed. Dang thing was tilted up back-asswards inside the mag body. Took it apart; put it back together, marked the bottom as a range mag only, and moved on. But, I still have plenty of trust in the Glock to work if and when I need it.

Chances of a Glock mag or anything else in that platform failing are slim...agreed. But I do think, and think most will back me up, the mags are still the weakest link in an otherwise superbly reliable platform. That's why many of us carry a spare... Now, having said all that, if I were to include the person with the gun as part of the system, I would agree 100% with you. Most of us would more than likely fail to perform before our guns did in most cases. Handguns don't get skeered sh!tless and all nervous and shaky; people do.

Latest posts

Top Bottom