In a Centerfire Semi-Auto, Which in General is the Weakest Link?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which mechanical component or piece is most likely to cause a malfunction?

• The Recoil Spring

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The Sear

• The Slide Stop Lever

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

cowboydoc

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In my (somewhat limited) experience, I have seen the most problems by far caused by ammo, followed by magazines. I primarily shoot the Beretta 92 and weak ammo (reloads) has been the problem with nearly every malfunction I have had. The few others were caused by mags with weak springs (used mil surp).

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
In my (somewhat limited) experience, I have seen the most problems by far caused by ammo, followed by magazines. I primarily shoot the Beretta 92 and weak ammo (reloads) has been the problem with nearly every malfunction I have had. The few others were caused by mags with weak springs (used mil surp).

Well, there ya go. Stay with factory ammo (unless you're a dang good reloader) and real springs and your troubles may well go away.

druryj

Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Most of the malfunctions I've had with semi- autos have been caused by ammo especially in 22 lr.

Yeah but...22 lr is a rimfire cartridge, not a centerfire. Was the ammo in the centerfire's reloaded stuff? I went shooting with a guy a couple weeks ago who was complaining about his .380 pistol wouldn't cycle, not matter what ammo he was using (WWB, Fiocchi, S&B and some Remington). I gave it a try and it worked fine for me with all the diffferent loads. I suggested he grip the gun a little firmer and not "limp wrist" it...to little or no avail. He was a self-proclaimed "expert" with a pistol and just dead set on blaming the gun's failures on either the ammo or the recoil spring. The ammo was fine, the spring was fine...the magazines were fine. His problem was outside the scope of this poll as it was not a mechanical issue; it was as earlier suggested above, the "shooter" was the problem. I quietly loaded 5 rounds in a 6 round mag and watched him run through it...a very noticeable flinch at the end of the string when he thought he had one shot left and that barrel dipped like nobody's business.

been

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Would being shot be considered a malfunction? If so than that adds to the things a person can do wrong. Are we talking about a self defense sanario or just any time your shooting?

druryj

Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Would being shot be considered a malfunction? If so than that adds to the things a person can do wrong. Are we talking about a self defense sanario or just any time your shooting?

Being shot would suck. I'm talking about shooting a centerfire pistol in general.

grwd

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
For instance you've had some "Magazine" replies...... mags aren't a significant problem with glocks across the board, just like with many major platforms. However, with 1911s they can be a problem area as generally stock mags aren't GTG.

glock mags can and will f up more than you think.

Latest posts

Top Bottom