In a Centerfire Semi-Auto, Which in General is the Weakest Link?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which mechanical component or piece is most likely to cause a malfunction?

• The Recoil Spring

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The Sear

• The Slide Stop Lever

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
Other than the shooter....

Ammo is probably the most "General" issue with centerfire semis. For some guns (those with either old worn out or plain cheap mags available) mags are the most common issue. But that's typically easily solved by using quality well maintained mags. The only gun I've had mag issues that I've owned was a officer's frame 1911 that had mystery mags with it when I purchased it. I bought quality mags, and voila! it was cured. But I've had ammo issues with my Glock (didn't like light loads I was doing for my range toy 9mm), blunt hollow points not feeding in the .45, bad primers, a backwards bullet in commercial reloads, etc.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Other than the shooter....

Ammo is probably the most "General" issue with centerfire semis. For some guns (those with either old worn out or plain cheap mags available) mags are the most common issue. But that's typically easily solved by using quality well maintained mags. The only gun I've had mag issues that I've owned was a officer's frame 1911 that had mystery mags with it when I purchased it. I bought quality mags, and voila! it was cured. But I've had ammo issues with my Glock (didn't like light loads I was doing for my range toy 9mm), blunt hollow points not feeding in the .45, bad primers, a backwards bullet in commercial reloads, etc.

Curious: Were these ammo related issues all reloads or did you experience the same thing with factory ammo too?

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
Curious: Were these ammo related issues all reloads or did you experience the same thing with factory ammo too?

The HP issue with the 1911 was factory SD ammo, it just didn't feed well in that gun. The backwards bullet and bad primers were commercial reloads. The low powered stuff was mine (works great in other guns).

druryj

Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hmmm, sounds like the HP issue with the 1911 was specific to that gun...so is that an ammo failure or a problem with a particular gun? Reloads...well, can't comment on that.

druryj

Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
QUOTE=GMThunder;1664363]Didn't put me on the spot by any means, any reply will be seen as disrespectful towards military service and I'll bow out of that. It's obviously a crutch you need so you go on with your bad self...... :D[/QUOTE]

Ya know something? A DD-214 is not a crutch, it's a record of service and validation of qualifications as in weapons quals, certain training, decorations etc; among other things. :comfort: It's alright though, I'll allow you to post to my poll anyway. Free speech and all...

(Soup of the Day: Cheese Soup. Comes with a glass of whine).

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom