Insect Repellent

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Allergic reactions to sulfa drugs is one of the more common medication allergies. I can't take Bactrim anymore (trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole). Most times it causes a rash... with me, it causes something a lot more uncomfortable. And dangerous. Not good stuff, trust me. You don't wanna know. :angry3:

Jwryan84

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just tried out a new product (new to me) this past weekend, it's called permethrin, treat your clothing with it, I worked my land for a few hours Saturday, dealt with brush as tall as my chest, product is supposed to kill and repel ticks, chiggers, mosquitos, pretty much all irritating insects, when I got home I stripped down just knowing I was infested with ticks after walking through what I'd walked through, found one dead tick on my left shin, was pleasantly surprised, no bites, no irritation, has me sold

I use this for the Run & Guns, never had anything on me after. Powerful stuff, usually use Deet of some sort

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Remember folks, that permethrin is deadly poison for cats. Just rubbing up against your clothes if you have recently sprayed it could be fatal to a family pet. Dogs have more tolerance, but it can be fatal to them as well. I don't know the lethal dose in cats, but it is much much lower than in dogs.

Mkokc

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Remember folks, that permethrin is deadly poison for cats. Just rubbing up against your clothes if you have recently sprayed it could be fatal to a family pet. Dogs have more tolerance, but it can be fatal to them as well. I don't know the lethal dose in cats, but it is much much lower than in dogs.
Good to know, the dog part anyway

Mkokc

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I wasn't sure if Skin So Soft was still around. I need to pick some up before I head to the jungle next month.

I always use DEET. Had a dude come in all swelling up and rashed up bad last week - had the sulfur tube sock thing going, that was my guess as to what caused it. Allergic reaction to sulfur.
Sulphur is a skin irritant, some folks are more resistant to it than others

Mkokc

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If I remember right, you could buy Sulphur pills in drug stores back in the day. Supposed to ward off insects.
I believe you are right Dennis, my dad told me of the sulphur in the sock trick from his days with OG&E, I was looking for a solution for working on my land while on foot when I brought it up to him, I checked into it, the powder can be a skin irritant when applied directly to the skin, that's when I ran across permethrin, I spoke with him about it and they said they applied the sulphur powder to their clothing since they were always wearing gloves and the only skin exposed was from the neck up

Mos Eisley

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Speaking of old pills...I remember when my grandparents had us take salt tablets when it was hot outside. My grandpa had a dispenser on the wall like those old powder soap dispensers. They're still around but no way I'd take them now.

BuckFuller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Actually some of the blue Listerine in a spray bottle works pretty good on the skin or clothes and we even spray it around on our patio when we are going to be out there to keep the skeeters away. It hasn't bothered us any but I would guess it could be an irritant to some.

YukonGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This weekend I used Sawyer insect repellent (20% picaridin) in places with tons of mosquitoes, and some places with chiggers and ticks. I didn't get a single bite after spending hours in these places. Other people with other repellents did get bit by all those insects. It goes on very light (i.e., not greasy), has very little smell (and what smell is there doesn't small bad), worked great at repelling insects, and didn't burn or otherwise irritate my skin. I'm impressed by the product.

Latest posts

Top Bottom