Interesting Traffic Stop with CCW

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crimeftr

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
3 is valid, possibly part of 2, but why would you object to somebody carrying when he's engaging in a profession known to be dangerous?

Knowing fully that there are very few IF ANY rules and regulations for the "Bounty Hunters, Fugitive Hunters" or whatever you want to call them, Im sure they do what they have to do to be safe. Having said that, it is MY OPINION, and that counts for nothing, that a CCW license is used for self defense. Not to strap on a pistol and go looking for bad guys or "to engage in that profession". To me those are two totally different situations. I don't see that the SDA was written for that and it seems as though that person is trying to sneak around a PI license or an Armed Guard. Maybe Im wrong...

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If he doesn't use or display the pistol until one of his "clients" first offers violence, he's using it for self-defense. If he initiates to secure compliance, then he's exceeding the scope of the SDA.

Were I a bounty hunter or repo man, you can bet I'd be (quietly) armed to the teeth, just in case.

AKguy1985

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If he doesn't use or display the pistol until one of his "clients" first offers violence, he's using it for self-defense. If he initiates to secure compliance, then he's exceeding the scope of the SDA.

Were I a bounty hunter or repo man, you can bet I'd be (quietly) armed to the teeth, just in case.

My "roomate" was a repo girl in the DFW area and wore body armor

Super Dave

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't believe it's illegal to have them on a vehicle just to operate them. Not only that but they cooperated fully and I don't believe every situation deserves a citation.

We serviced the bikes for the OHP, OCPD, and at one time, OK County Sheriff. Any time they were putting one up for sale, it was required that the red and blues came off. As I understand it, it is unlawful to have ANY working red lights up front, on a normal vehicle. I know that was true when we had inspection stickers.

That's a pretty creepy story. So what was he, a repo man, a bounty hunter, or a just creep?

Can you legally carry on a bounty hunter gig, with just a CCW? I figured you had to have at least some CLEET for that, being on the job and all.

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I believe some of the laws on red and blue lights have changed recently, which is why you see some service (construction) equipment with red and blues parked on the interstates. I think it is along the lines of they can have it when they are stationary, but cannot operate it when the vehicle is in motion.

Seems people tend to slow down and move over when the see red and blues more than amber and greens.

I could be wrong on this, but believe what I recount to be accurate.

MLR

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Now having said that, I have issues with
#1 a "fugitive recovery agent" carrying concealed while he is acting in that capacity.
#2 He is wearing all of his fugitive recovery garb to reposes a vehicle.
#3 He is driving around in a vehicle with RED and BLUE lights attached and is not a member of LE.
This whole situation seems to have lots of potential for going bad, like impersonating a police officer or a situation where a citizen complies with something simply because they think they are LE. I really think there needs to be some laws about "Fugitive Recovery Agents" Nuff Said...
If this person you stopped was breaking no law what id the problem? Did he harm someone? I agree that he had the ability to break the law but do we really want to criminalize what a person "might do"?

This same logic is what drives most laws. We cannot allow people to own weapons because they might harm someone.
We prohibit certain substances because of what a person might do when under the influence.
As a free person we all have the ability to do great harm. There are laws on the books to punish those that do. That is the way our laws are meant to work. Now society has decided that prevention is the way to go. To do this you have to remove the ability to commit a crime. You have to remove the freedom that allows the person to make his choice. You must remove that freedom from everyone, not just the bad people, for it to work.

Michael

sanjuro893

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Knowing fully that there are very few IF ANY rules and regulations for the "Bounty Hunters, Fugitive Hunters" or whatever you want to call them, Im sure they do what they have to do to be safe. Having said that, it is MY OPINION, and that counts for nothing, that a CCW license is used for self defense. Not to strap on a pistol and go looking for bad guys or "to engage in that profession". To me those are two totally different situations. I don't see that the SDA was written for that and it seems as though that person is trying to sneak around a PI license or an Armed Guard. Maybe Im wrong...

Before the SDA, I was always told you had to take your CLEET P.I. and firearms (phase 3 & 4?) training before you could carry a pistol to do fugitive recovery stuff. I think this guy (and probably several others) just use the SDA permit as a way around it just as you stated. I'm sure it saves him some money, but legally I don't think he would have a leg to stand on if he used a firearm for compliance. I think this guy is playing with fire if that's what he's doing. On another subject, as for the "high profile" gear with the badge on the necklace, the car with the reds and blues, cuffs in the belt and all that jazz, the few fugitive recovery guys I knew (and again this is several years ago) never did the BDU's, the web gear and the "Dog the Bounty Hunter" crap cuz they wanted to be as low profile as possible approaching the guy without alerting the guy that he was about to get cuffed and dragged off to jail.

ripnbst

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Actually, you could have ticketed him for the lights. Having flashing lights is illegal.

What did the badge on the chain say? PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE tell me it was a CCW badge.

Latest posts

Top Bottom