Interesting Traffic Stop with CCW

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Werewolf

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Fugitive recovery agents...

Freaking bounty hunters, thugs with BS badges.

I'm not real big on regulation but if there was ever a profession that needed regulatin' bounty huntin' would be one.

Question: if the guy was an OK resident how can it be legal for him to use a FL CCW? I could see it if he was from AR for example in OK with a FL CCW for the very reason he gave. Seems to me though as on OK resident he should need an OK CCW and use his FL one when traveling.

RED/Blue lights on his vehicle - aren't only LEO's supposed to be able to do that in OK?

Unless he's a bounty hunter licensed in a state that requires licensing and makes them agents of the court (does OK do that) then he's just a regular citizen. His kind need to be run outta town!

spd67

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Title 47. Motor Vehicles
Chapter 12
Highway Safety Code
Article Article 2
Section 12-227 - Special Restriction On Lamps

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Superceded Superceded Superceded

Effective: 11/01/2003

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Cite as: O.S. §, __ __

A. Any lighted lamp or illuminating device upon a motor vehicle, other than head lamps, spot lamps, auxiliary lamps, flashing turn signals, emergency vehicle warning lamps, construction and maintenance vehicle warning lamps, and school bus warning lamps, which projects a beam of light of an intensity greater than three hundred (300) candlepower shall be so directed that no part of the high intensity portion of the beam will strike the level of the roadway on which the vehicle stands at a distance of more than seventy-five (75) feet from the vehicle.

B. No person shall drive or move any vehicle or equipment upon any highway with any lamp or device thereon displaying a red or blue light visible from directly in front of the center thereof. This section shall not apply to any vehicle upon which a red or blue light visible from the front is expressly authorized or required by this title.

C. Flashing lights are prohibited except on an authorized emergency vehicle, school bus, church bus as defined in Section 11-705.1 of this title, snow- removal equipment, wreckers and tow vehicles while at the scene of an emergency, or on any vehicle as a means of indicating a right or left turn, or the presence of a vehicular traffic hazard requiring unusual care in approaching, overtaking or passing. Flashing red or blue lights or a combination of flashing red and blue lights may be used on authorized emergency vehicles, or on vehicles or machinery owned or operated by any agency of the state or by any county or city when engaged in the performance of emergency work or on the construction or maintenance of highways or bridges, or on wreckers and tow vehicles at the scene of an emergency.

D. Blue lights are prohibited except as allowed in subsection C of this section.

E. Any person violating the provisions of subsection B, C or D of this section shall, upon conviction, be guilty of a misdemeanor punishable by imprisonment in the county jail not exceeding six (6) months, or by a fine not exceeding Two Thousand Dollars ($2,000.00), or by both such fine and imprisonment.

And there you have it....

OldCurlyWolf

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We serviced the bikes for the OHP, OCPD, and at one time, OK County Sheriff. Any time they were putting one up for sale, it was required that the red and blues came off. As I understand it, it is unlawful to have ANY working red lights up front, on a normal vehicle. I know that was true when we had inspection stickers.

That's a pretty creepy story. So what was he, a repo man, a bounty hunter, or a just creep?

Can you legally carry on a bounty hunter gig, with just a CCW? I figured you had to have at least some CLEET for that, being on the job and all.

none required, not even being bonded. They run under the bail agents bond. No warrants needed for entry into a house either. BUT, whoever they are trying to get better be there or its off to jail on burglary or B&E charges.

jrusling

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
none required, not even being bonded. They run under the bail agents bond. No warrants needed for entry into a house either. BUT, whoever they are trying to get better be there or its off to jail on burglary or B&E charges.
If they come in my house they will be hurting before they get arrested.

dieseltech09

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Title 47. Motor Vehicles
Chapter 12
Highway Safety Code
Article Article 2
Section 12-227 - Special Restriction On Lamps

Superceded Superceded Superceded

Effective: 11/01/2003

Cite as: O.S. §, __ __

A. Any lighted lamp or illuminating device upon a motor vehicle, other than head lamps, spot lamps, auxiliary lamps, flashing turn signals, emergency vehicle warning lamps, construction and maintenance vehicle warning lamps, and school bus warning lamps, which projects a beam of light of an intensity greater than three hundred (300) candlepower shall be so directed that no part of the high intensity portion of the beam will strike the level of the roadway on which the vehicle stands at a distance of more than seventy-five (75) feet from the vehicle.

B. No person shall drive or move any vehicle or equipment upon any highway with any lamp or device thereon displaying a red or blue light visible from directly in front of the center thereof. This section shall not apply to any vehicle upon which a red or blue light visible from the front is expressly authorized or required by this title.

C. Flashing lights are prohibited except on an authorized emergency vehicle, school bus, church bus as defined in Section 11-705.1 of this title, snow- removal equipment, wreckers and tow vehicles while at the scene of an emergency, or on any vehicle as a means of indicating a right or left turn, or the presence of a vehicular traffic hazard requiring unusual care in approaching, overtaking or passing. Flashing red or blue lights or a combination of flashing red and blue lights may be used on authorized emergency vehicles, or on vehicles or machinery owned or operated by any agency of the state or by any county or city when engaged in the performance of emergency work or on the construction or maintenance of highways or bridges, or on wreckers and tow vehicles at the scene of an emergency.

D. Blue lights are prohibited except as allowed in subsection C of this section.

E. Any person violating the provisions of subsection B, C or D of this section shall, upon conviction, be guilty of a misdemeanor punishable by imprisonment in the county jail not exceeding six (6) months, or by a fine not exceeding Two Thousand Dollars ($2,000.00), or by both such fine and imprisonment.

And there you have it....

Thats old. Its been updated since that and is being updated again Nov 1st

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If this person you stopped was breaking no law what id the problem? Did he harm someone? I agree that he had the ability to break the law but do we really want to criminalize what a person "might do"?

This same logic is what drives most laws. We cannot allow people to own weapons because they might harm someone.
We prohibit certain substances because of what a person might do when under the influence.
As a free person we all have the ability to do great harm. There are laws on the books to punish those that do. That is the way our laws are meant to work. Now society has decided that prevention is the way to go. To do this you have to remove the ability to commit a crime. You have to remove the freedom that allows the person to make his choice. You must remove that freedom from everyone, not just the bad people, for it to work.

Michael

I think the point was not that he "might have done something illegal", but more that he was a very suspicious character that had possibly committed two illegal acts prior to questioning.

I live near Okmulgee, and there is a lot of illegal stuff that goes on around here that involves shady people, so if someone fits the description of "shady" upon breaking the law, then it starts to give the officer probable cause to (at the very least) ask questions. If he was "hauling butt" at first, then he was guilty of speeding - and I'm not up on Okmulgee's municipal regs, but is it legal to U-turn on any of the city streets?

Then you have...
Red/Blue lights and other cop-related stuff on a civilian car (that was driving through an alley-way)
A guy with a badge openly displayed that only shows Fugitive Recovery Agent
An OK citizen with a FL CCW
Asking someone who they are with when they're displaying a badge/cuffs/walkie-talkie and they say "no one"

Sounds like these guys got off easy.

MLR

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I think the point was not that he "might have done something illegal", but more that he was a very suspicious character that had possibly committed two illegal acts prior to questioning.

I live near Okmulgee, and there is a lot of illegal stuff that goes on around here that involves shady people, so if someone fits the description of "shady" upon breaking the law, then it starts to give the officer probable cause to (at the very least) ask questions. If he was "hauling butt" at first, then he was guilty of speeding - and I'm not up on Okmulgee's municipal regs, but is it legal to U-turn on any of the city streets?

Then you have...
Red/Blue lights and other cop-related stuff on a civilian car (that was driving through an alley-way)
A guy with a badge openly displayed that only shows Fugitive Recovery Agent
An OK citizen with a FL CCW
Asking someone who they are with when they're displaying a badge/cuffs/walkie-talkie and they say "no one"

Sounds like these guys got off easy.
I have no problem with questioning suspicious people.
While I do see your point my earlier response was to this.
This whole situation seems to have lots of potential for going bad, like impersonating a police officer or a situation where a citizen complies with something simply because they think they are LE. I really think there needs to be some laws about "Fugitive Recovery Agents" Nuff Said...
The post implied that no crime was committed so we need to criminalize what they were doing. Even though no one was harmed.The idea of enacting laws to prevent crimes is scary to me. Where does it end?

Having the ability to commit a crime is called freedom. Do we really want to take that freedom away?

Michael

deja

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Oklahoma has reciprocity with Florida and has no restriction on non-resident licenses. A Florida CCW is kosher here.

It's not weird, it's not illegal, and as per the SDA, it's not probable cause.

joesnipes7

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
the no warrants part really bothers me, i'm afraid at my house being arrested will not be an option,call me paranoid but with all the home invasions these days,i'm not asking questions first

Latest posts

Top Bottom