Interesting Traffic Stop with CCW

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crimeftr

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ive read other posts about CCWs and their interaction with law enforcement, so I though I would tell a story from the other side. I saw what looked like a unmarked police car going through the alley. However, I dont recognize the vehicle as being a local one. I did see that it had red and blue mirror strobes, a push bar, and an antenna on the roof. When I turned the corner I saw that it was a ways down the street, which led me to believe it was hauling butt. Thinking that they may be chasing someone I haul butt too to get down to where they were. I then noticed them doing a u turn in the roadway and started to head towards me. When they passed me, I saw that the license plates were normal plates, and not one issued to city, county or state. So I turned around on the vehicle and initiated a traffic stop. When I approached I did my normal introduction and greeting. During this time I saw that the driver was wearing a chain around his neck with a badge attached to it. I asked them who they were with and they said no one. The driver then stated to me that he was CCW. I said OK and asked to see his Oklahoma DL. He produced it and he stated that he was a fugitive recovery agent for a bondsman out of tulsa. I asked to see his CCW and he produced a Florida CCW. While he was doing this I saw a pair of handcuffs tucked on his side between his belt and a walkie talkie on his hip as well. I asked him why he had a Florida CCW and lived in OKlahoma. He told me that he did a lot of traveling and Florida's CCW was recognized in more states than OK. I then asked him what he was doing and he told me that he was looking for a vehicle and he was going to reposes it. I asked him if he notified the local PD so that way they wouldnt be taking a stolen vehicle report when not necessary and he told me no. Basically that was the contact.

Now having said that, I have issues with #1 a "fugitive recovery agent" carrying concealed while he is acting in that capacity. #2 He is wearing all of his fugitive recovery garb to reposes a vehicle. #3 He is driving around in a vehicle with RED and BLUE lights attached and is not a member of LE. This whole situation seems to have lots of potential for going bad, like impersonating a police officer or a situation where a citizen complies with something simply because they think they are LE. I really think there needs to be some laws about "Fugitive Recovery Agents" Nuff Said...

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Now having said that, I have issues with #1 a "fugitive recovery agent" carrying concealed while he is acting in that capacity. #2 He is wearing all of his fugitive recovery garb to reposes a vehicle. #3 He is driving around in a vehicle with RED and BLUE lights attached and is not a member of LE. This whole situation seems to have lots of potential for going bad, like impersonating a police officer or a situation where a citizen complies with something simply because they think they are LE. I really think there needs to be some laws about "Fugitive Recovery Agents" Nuff Said...
3 is valid, possibly part of 2, but why would you object to somebody carrying when he's engaging in a profession known to be dangerous?

crimeftr

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not being critical but it seems you had cause to write at least an equipment ticket on the reds/blues. Any reason you didn't?

I don't believe it's illegal to have them on a vehicle just to operate them. Not only that but they cooperated fully and I don't believe every situation deserves a citation.

WTJ

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I know a few of these guys (maybe not that one). Some understand they are in a 'unusual' occupation and try to keep a low profile and LE on their good side. However, there are some........:homer::ooh2:

Latest posts

Top Bottom