Iphone 4 or 4S?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soonerwings

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My aging Android phone is due for a replacement and I'm going the Iphone route to get a look at the other side for a year or two. Is the new processor and HSPA+ worth the extra $100 over the plain old Iphone 4?

hanson405

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What android phone? I had a Motorolla Droid as my first smart phone, and BOY did I want an Iphone after a year with that thing. Instead, I did my research and wound up with an HTC Incredible 2. Faster (in nearly every way) than the IPhone 4 (can't speak for the 4S), and WAY more stable and user friendly than the Droid. I think as the Android name continues to evolve, we will see a change in smartphone dynamics.

soonerwings

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have an HTC hero and to be honest, if I were to get another Android phone, it would be one with "pure" android installed. I'm not a fan of HTC bloatware but I do have to say that the phone is made well. Honestly, the spec race just doesn't impress me very much any more. Company A puts the latest greatest hardware into a phone and then Company B one ups them a few months later. I'm more interested in the software. I switched to a macbook a few years ago and I've loved OS X although I've heard that Windows has finally pulled their heads out with 7 and 8. It's time to take iOS 5 out for a spin I think.

soonerwings

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Granted, the LTE is fast, but it sucks power like nobody's business. When LTE phones/batteries catch up a little I won't have any problem with it. Until then, HSPA+ is fast enough (5 times faster than the "3G" I'm getting with Sprint currently) for a phone. When I want ridiculously fast internet, I'll just use my home connection.

VitruvianDoc

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Remember, the iPhone 4S isn't just a bump from HSPA to HSPA+ but a bump to a dual 1ghz processors and 1 gig of ram (from 1 ghz single core and 512 mb ram). It also has a much upgraded camera and best of all, the antenna gate has been fully resolved.

I will be getting it for sure and the Siri or whatever it is called is just a bonus. I switched to sprint under their 30 day trial and the reception caused 10x the issues that ATT dropped calls cause so I switched back. While I was there, I used the Motorola Photon and HTC Evo 3D and both were solid phones, but again, the Android + bloatware = choppy experience.

I switched back to AT&T and an iPhone and its been smooth sailing since.

When it comes to phones of this caliber, its gotta be at least 60% weighted on the operating system. iOS has it in the bag by far with all of that compared to the various spices of Android.

And as far as LTE, I used the photon on Sprint 4g in Dallas and its true that it was blazing (tethered devices and all) but battery life dropped from 5.5 hours to >3!!! And it all reality, I am on wifi 85% of my mon-fri lifetime and with the N band wifi, it puts LTE to shame on a 1gb downstream connection.

hanson405

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have an HTC hero and to be honest, if I were to get another Android phone, it would be one with "pure" android installed. I'm not a fan of HTC bloatware but I do have to say that the phone is made well. Honestly, the spec race just doesn't impress me very much any more. Company A puts the latest greatest hardware into a phone and then Company B one ups them a few months later. I'm more interested in the software. I switched to a macbook a few years ago and I've loved OS X although I've heard that Windows has finally pulled their heads out with 7 and 8. It's time to take iOS 5 out for a spin I think.

I hear ya on that front. You have a phone for a month, and its horribly outdated.

As for the bloatware, the service providers have begun adding more crap than the phone manufacturers. Besides, as someone who came from "Pure Android," I can honestly say that the HTC Sense/Android combo is much more stable, and much less quirky.

DanB

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm ready for early upgrade on my phone. I'm waiting to see if Verizon launches the Droid Prime next week. Need to get a real review of it from a human outside of mfg rumors. If it doesn't live up to the rumors I'll go with the 4S.

I have no Apple products but the phones are consistently getting good reviews. Well except for some issues that appear to be resolved with the latest 4 version.

Latest posts

Top Bottom