Is a tractor worth it???

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

feral

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’ve never owned a tractor. I’ve got a lot of projects on my property that need a loader and a grading/scraper. As I get to the project I rent a bobcat/skid steer. I’m at a little more than 2k in rentals over the past year and am looking at 4-6k over the next year to 2-3 years.

I have to time things around it and wait for several projects to come together. For instance, I need to move several large trees from our seasonal creek, re-grade a driveway, pull boulders from one area to another, pull a couple tree stumps and build a small retaining wall. All of these projects require the bobcat for maybe an hour of work so it’s annoying to gather 10 projects to get my moneys worth.

Would it be worth it to get a compact tractor with loader and some a grading blade? Mainly does the maintenance spiral on those things? I have a couple used tractors around me that I can get for $2-5k in different conditions. I just don’t want to think I’m gonna save money and then end up with a money pit. I can do all the maintenance myself. Also how hard is it to operate them compare to a skid steer? Are power levels somewhat comparable?
It was worth it for us, I was in the same boat. Got a Kubota BX with a FEL, belly mower and box blade used on FB and never looked back.
Keep it maintained and it'll take good care of you. And resale is better than any car.

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My Massey is a 2019 55 HP & it will do way more than TYM 2011 53HP Both 4x4 cab tractors

I had a little Massey GC1710 TLB (tractor/loader/backhoe). It was the first tractor I ever bought. Quite the little workhorse but just couldn't handle some of the bigger jobs. This was my learning tractor in terms of knowing what I needed in a tractor.

I sold it and bought a TYM T454 with a cab. Personally, I think TYM is a great machine. Hell...they build tractors for almost every major brand out there and they're one of the biggest tractor companies in the world. I wish I had that tractor now. It was too big for my place in Idaho but would be perfect here.

I sold the TYM and bought a JD 2038R with a backhoe. That was a fantastic tractor and it's another one I'd love to have back for this property. It was a perfect mix of capability and compactness for small/crowded spaces. Lifestyle change forced me to sell that one.

Now I have the 3025E.

WRH1234

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have the compact Branson 1905H I bought in Coweta a few years ago. Package deal, not cheap..but since people wanted to charge 1000's of dollars for any dirt work I needed it was a no brainer. I don't believe it would be the best option for pulling trees or larger boulders since the lifting is maxed out at 600 lbs. But I can tell you I've used this thing a lot and I only have 1 acre. The mowing deck is nice since the the tractor has power steering. That alone makes me think I'll keep this thing forever. I bought clamp on pallet forks but I really don't use them since the lifting capacity is only 600 and then these things extend enough that I'm losing most of that ability. Anyone in the Tulsa area needing/wanting clamp on pallet forks DM me and let's talk. Titan 43" LW clamp on pallet fork 1500 lbs capacity w/stabilizer bar

TomTom

Marksman
Reaction score
You guys were right. Went to see it and it was super tiny. They were also trying to sell the crap out of a POS. No thanks.

Back to looking. Lol. Thanks for all the opinions. I’ll be upsizing my search for sure. I don’t think that one would have budge some of the boulders I have to move.
Look at Tractor House. They have tractors from all over all sizes. I have 5 acres. I bought a JD 5045E with a loader use it for everything. One manual has it listed as 45hp another has it listed as 50hp. Anyway would not I would not go smaller. Also have a quick attach for implements on back, saves a lot of time. Most of my implements are 6 ft wide to cover the tractor tracks.

https://www.tractorhouse.com/

264killer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Bought my first tactor with front loader when son left home. Did not have any one to lift the heavy stuff.
I had a little Massey GC1710 TLB (tractor/loader/backhoe). It was the first tractor I ever bought. Quite the little workhorse but just couldn't handle some of the bigger jobs. This was my learning tractor in terms of knowing what I needed in a tractor.

I sold it and bought a TYM T454 with a cab. Personally, I think TYM is a great machine. Hell...they build tractors for almost every major brand out there and they're one of the biggest tractor companies in the world. I wish I had that tractor now. It was too big for my place in Idaho but would be perfect here.

I sold the TYM and bought a JD 2038R with a backhoe. That was a fantastic tractor and it's another one I'd love to have back for this property. It was a perfect mix of capability and compactness for small/crowded spaces. Lifestyle change forced me to sell that one.

Now I have the 3025E.
My Massey handles a 6.5 foot box blade with folding rippers made of 3/8 plate. I think Massey out weights TYM by 1000 #

jackinok09

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
my opinion, I use a tractor (jd 4020) to move dead trees with grapple loader. if you pick up a large tree it will not back out of any steep embankment. even with a 7 ft flail mower on back. front wheel drive would be a major assist. pulling stumps, not likely unless ground is really wet or stumps really rotten. small cedars maybe.. be extremely careful skidding logs with any tractor. a tractor, until you really get good at running it is not the best for grading simply because the dirt moving apparatus is on the back. go over a hill it lifts, in a ditch it drops. front blade can eliminate that to an extent. not to say it cant be done but theres a definite learning curve

Roy14

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
More about hydraulic lifting capacity. One of our tractors is a new holland t5060 (about 100hp) and it will not lift anywhere near what our Bobcat s770 (92hp) will lift. Both pieces have their place though. I’m one that wants capability over comfort. I’ll take power over comfort any day. Also a 4x4 tractor is not just for mud. Usually a 4x4 tractor has larger front tires which equate to a smoother ride and better handling with a load on the front.
That’s because it’s a new Holland!
I say that half in jest, but the other half is all the hell I’ve had with New Holland hydraulic systems. These were bigger, 300 hp machines but they made me doubt any other machine made by them.
The older Fords were great, both tractors and backhoes. No Ford quality survived that merger/buyout, I’m afraid.

Roy14

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
IMO you can buy a good tractor under 5k. You may struggle to get a good one without any work needing done to it with a loader under that but it’s possible.
As a kid we had next to no equipment. Everything we did was by hand because that was free.99.
My grandpa gave us his MF35 with the continental gas motor in it, and it’s astounding how much you can do with such a small tractor and a little ingenuity. I’m a big fan of any of the MF x5 or 1x5 tractors, they’re stout, reliable (nearly unkillable) and parts are plentiful.
Pound for pound/hp for hp the Ford Powermasters will outwork the Masseys, but the MF 1x5 series has some larger options that may be a better buy.
I love the older John Deere iron but you’ll pay a premium, both in upfront cost and parts cost. There are some that aren’t so good, and you really need to do your research on specific models, like any other brand. Just because it’s green doesn’t mean it’s good.
Ford’s older industrial skip loaders are often very affordable tractors that are under appreciated. They’re heavier built than similar hp units, and usually have rear remotes to run a Gannon style box blade. The only knock I have against Ford SL models is to my knowledge they don’t have hydraulic power up/down like Case and JD, and that is a handy feature.

If you won’t ever need a tractor after you finish cleaning your place, then go ahead and rent, but if you think you’ll use it even a half dozen times a year I think you’ll be happier in the long run buying your own machine.

BillM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I’ve never owned a tractor. I’ve got a lot of projects on my property that need a loader and a grading/scraper. As I get to the project I rent a bobcat/skid steer. I’m at a little more than 2k in rentals over the past year and am looking at 4-6k over the next year to 2-3 years.

I have to time things around it and wait for several projects to come together. For instance, I need to move several large trees from our seasonal creek, re-grade a driveway, pull boulders from one area to another, pull a couple tree stumps and build a small retaining wall. All of these projects require the bobcat for maybe an hour of work so it’s annoying to gather 10 projects to get my moneys worth.

Would it be worth it to get a compact tractor with loader and some a grading blade? Mainly does the maintenance spiral on those things? I have a couple used tractors around me that I can get for $2-5k in different conditions. I just don’t want to think I’m gonna save money and then end up with a money pit. I can do all the maintenance myself. Also how hard is it to operate them compare to a skid steer? Are power levels somewhat comparable?
I've never owned a tractor, either. I did, once upon a time, own 7 acres of land on which darned few of the things I wanted to do to it got done because I didn't have one. My dad bought a ranch in Western Colorado after I left home. He wound up with a couple of tractors, and an old cable-operated D-9 Cat. Only had 80 acres. Raised cattle & horses, and most of the food he needed to feed them. Used them to pull a baler, and probably a dozen other attachments, build a 4 acre pond for the grand-kids to fish in, and sculpt the land to suit him. Put in an orchard, roads, gardens, et cetera. Used them to build & repair buildings, too. Working mostly by himself, he could lift and hold things in place as needed.

rickm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have never own a tractor but is looking for one now but i have operated many different JD's, Fords and Massey's over the years with and without front buckets, But the tractors today compared to yesteryears is no comparison IMO I dont care for the new ones out today but quess i will have to get to like them. Was looking at a 3025D but dont know if i would like the forward/reverse controls on it or not.

Latest posts

Top Bottom