Is Red Cedar Oklahoma’s Pińon?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I remember when we moved here in late 2009-early 2010, that the governor had a program that paid prison inmates to chop down red cedar trees. I think it was like $1/tree and $3/tree over a certain size. Anyone else remember that? Or am I just dreaming it up in my head? I wonder what happened to that program and why we can’t roll that out if ever existed or stopped?
I don’t remember that program, but that doesn’t mean it didn’t happen. The Oklahoma Ag Dept (I think; it could be ODWC) has (or had) a cedar eradication program.

hunter966

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don’t remember that program, but that doesn’t mean it didn’t happen. The Oklahoma Ag Dept (I think; it could be ODWC) has (or had) a cedar eradication program.
The Oklahoma Conservation Commission has a program going on now to fight cedars.

They just hired several technicians and are in the process of buying equipment to put them to work.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
As a landowner, I'm the worst nightmare of red cedar.
When hunting pheasants back in the day when there were pheasants, the rule on the hunt across a pasture was that if you see a red cedar, you folded it over with the boot and shot it off at the base. Cedar's will not sprout back if removed below the lowest limb.
@DRC458 and I spent one afternoon in a field shooting around 75 or so to clear out a pasture when they were starting with some #2 lead shot. The three or four that were too big got some tractor action later to clean it up.

XYZ

Ribertarian
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We were out camping/hunting In western Oklahoma once and experienced a full blown cider pollen drop. When we got there no wind. Next morning it picked up a bit and we noticed what we thought was a lot of smoke coming from down wind from us. We started walking towards it to if we gained neighbors that night and soon realized it was pollen. I’ve never seen it so thick it looked like smoke. Needless to say a couple of us had an allergic reaction to it and we had to split. One of my buddies head swole up so bad they took him to an emergency room to check.

Latest posts

Top Bottom