Is Red Cedar Oklahoma’s Pińon?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I remember when we moved here in late 2009-early 2010, that the governor had a program that paid prison inmates to chop down red cedar trees. I think it was like $1/tree and $3/tree over a certain size. Anyone else remember that? Or am I just dreaming it up in my head? I wonder what happened to that program and why we can’t roll that out if ever existed or stopped?
I don’t remember that program, but that doesn’t mean it didn’t happen. The Oklahoma Ag Dept (I think; it could be ODWC) has (or had) a cedar eradication program.

red dirt shootist

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I kind of remember a program like that, but they probably had to drop it because child molesters got a splinter every now and then. But Cedars are nothing but a fire bomb, one day, we will pay the penalty for letting them get out of control.

hunter966

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don’t remember that program, but that doesn’t mean it didn’t happen. The Oklahoma Ag Dept (I think; it could be ODWC) has (or had) a cedar eradication program.
The Oklahoma Conservation Commission has a program going on now to fight cedars.

They just hired several technicians and are in the process of buying equipment to put them to work.

Latest posts

Top Bottom