is there anything better?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YukonGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's very flat in profile. With the 7rd mag and cargo shorts, you could get away with pocket carry. The weight is low enough anyway. It will do very well in an ankle rig or any IWB you could fit it in. 8-9 rounds of 9mm definitely beats five .38's out of a 2" barrel.

When I still carried a revolver, I did so with a 3" Model 66 with boot grips. I could definitely shoot it better than my 442, it was easier to get a good grip with and I carried and shot full house magnums no less. I didn't care for shooting magnums in a j frame, even with the all steel Model 60. Still, with 20% more firepower, it's only one extra round and reloads are definitely slower than an auto.

I won an IDPA national championship with a S&W Model 19-4, so I'm no stranger to running a revo hard & fast. That said, I can't see any advantages to carrying a revolver today. They are fun to shoot though! :)
The Shield is a little large/heavy for pocket carry. I think if one was to carry IWB most of the time, it would be more feasible.

YukonGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This is coming from a revo fan that shoots revolver division in USPSA. If we're talking about the .38 Special it is actually a touch lighter in weight. But to me it is more controllable than an airweight J frame allowing faster follow up shots. I'm also drastically more accurate with the LCR. 10 yard head shots with my LCR are actually pretty easy and I just can't say that about the J, at least with me shooting it I get much better groups shooting it at speed. You mentioned the superior trigger and it is. I even had a Apex duty carry kit in my 442 and it still wasn't as good on the trigger as my LCR. That's just about all the design will tolerate without losing reliability. I also agree that with Speer GD +P short barrel loads that is about as good as it gets ballistically in that caliber and if that load weren't available I'd likely not carry a .38 snub at all. I think it's a better overall design with more modern construction but the bottom line is it just shoots better.

Lately I've been considering trying to trade it for a 9mm Shield. I'm with GTG, it is just a tactically superior weapon to have for CCW. But the lightweight snubbies are just so damned easy to slip into a pocket holster and go.
I haven't tried the j-frame apex kit, but it's a drastically better shooter with a good trigger. Lots and lots of practice does wonders also (although probably not realistic for the average concealed carrier). Based on your post, I'll give the Ruger another try.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've said it before, my Rohrbaugh is the ultimate pocket carry (IMO)

Smaller than a Jframe with higher capacity and in 9mm.

The OP said for the average concealed carrier...the Rohrbaugh, I would argue, is not for the masses. Price; availability, the fact that they are more complicated (See post #17) ...etc.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
I had a PF-9 that was reliable, and light weight (same as an AirLite S&W J @ 12.7oz). Just not any fun to shoot. I got a Kahr CM9 this weekend that I am hoping will replace the PF-9.

My wife had a S&W 642 for a while. I could shoot it accurately, and comfortably, but it is still less concealable than an auto, and only holds 5 rounds; plus reloads are slow.

So basically, for all the reasons GTG mentioned, I prefer an auto to a revo for carry.

That said, my wife prefers the revolver. I am trying to get her talked into an LCR over the J-frame. No luck so far.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The Shield is a little large/heavy for pocket carry. I think if one was to carry IWB most of the time, it would be more feasible.

I have a P-32 for pocket carry and I can actually shoot it better than I could the 442 I had. That said, I rarely ever carry it anymore. While not easier, I can't seem to leave the house without belting on a compact or full size defensive pistol and extra mag. While most average encounters could be solved with a snubbie, there are too many incidents these days that aren't average at all. :(

OKCShooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The OP said for the average concealed carrier...the Rohrbaugh, I would argue, is not for the masses. Price; availability, the fact that they are more complicated (See post #17) ...etc.

No, he asked "for the average concealed carrier who prioritizes always having a gun"

Therefore, I gave my opinion which is that "for the average concealed carrier who prioritizes always having a gun" the Rohrbaugh offers the ability to conceal better than a JFrame due to its size. The fact that it is 9mm and holds more rounds is just icing.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
No love for the .380ACP?:anyone:

That's what I've been totin' as my constant carry as of late. A Kahr CW380. It slips in the front pocket perfectly and rides about like a wallet or cell phone. I carry it in a Safariland model 25 front pocket holster.

In my left front pocket is a 7 round mag in a Sneaky Pete mag pouch. It's just a simple leather sleeve that covers the entire mag body except the basepad. I have a piece of 550 threaded thru it, so if'n I need a quick reload, I can just grab the paracord with my teeth, extract the mag, back in bizness.

I used to carry an LCR but my father finally decided he needed to go ahead and get his SDA card, so he owns the LCR now.

If I ever go back to a 5 shot snub for SD it will be another LCR.

And all this hoopla about caliber and how stout the round is, boils down to this.

A) They will ALL kill you deader than hell.

B) A wise man once said, "if faced with an assailant, all you gotta do is change his mind."

That's purdy good advice! :thumb:

Latest posts

Top Bottom