is there anything better?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YukonGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Advertised trigger weights are rather difficult to use for comparison because they vary. I owned one PM9 (out of the 4 I've owned) that never broke at less than 10.2. My trusty old S&W 442 breaks at about 7.5. I never measured a Rohrbaugh trigger myself, but many people have scaled them at close to 7. If I really believed my carry method provided a reasonable chance for an AD, adding a couple pounds to the trigger pull wouldn't make me feel better about it.

OKCShooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Advertised trigger weights are rather difficult to use for comparison because they vary. I owned one PM9 (out of the 4 I've owned) that never broke at less than 10.2. My trusty old S&W 442 breaks at about 7.5. I never measured a Rohrbaugh trigger myself, but many people have scaled them at close to 7. If I really believed my carry method provided a reasonable chance for an AD, adding a couple pounds to the trigger pull wouldn't make me feel better about it.

Awesome, glad you're happy with your choice.

jakerz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm with GtoG. I've tried a Ruger LCR/LCP, Kel-tec PF9, Sig P238 and the S&W Shield. Out of all of them, I still have the shield. My wife and I both carry one. If I'm not carrying the shield, it's the G19. Luckily, gun manufacturers make a variety of firearms to suit everyone's taste. Well, mostly everyone.

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Most of you who have responded are far from the average carrier, and your selections are probably quite valid for your level of dedication and interest.

However the AVERAGE carrier won't practice much, probably won't keep his weapon very clean, and will just tote it around in the hopes he/she never needs it.

Incidentally, if it is needed, deployment can take from a minute to a week (subjective) but that's another subject.

These folks need a small revolver. Safe to carry--I am for DAO guns for what I hope are obvious reasons. (If one can cock a revolver, that's how it'll be used in a social encounter at social distances, and the unpracticed have been known to have negligent discharges and to holster cocked revolvers.)

There is no safety to think about, and a pretty heavy trigger will come closest to assuring function only when it's really needed.

Our average carrier won't get a good retention system, so it'll be in a pocket, or stuck in a belt pointing south, or otherwise poorly secured. You did specify average. I would rather have a DAO pointing at the naughty bits than something with a hammer, a safety, or a light trigger.

Once again, if you were average, you probably wouldn't even be a member of OSA, but we all have some influence and credibility with folks who need/want a concealed gun but will never invest more than the minimum in acquiring what is needed to carry legally. Best thing we can do is not to try to duplicate our expertise in another person unless they acquire a genuine interest in more than just being armed.

I like the small frame .357 guns and recommend (putting on Nomex here) that they practice with low power .38 special, but carry hot .357. Reasoning is that if you get in a deal, recoil will be the last thing you will notice, and if you build a fear of firing on the range, it could follow you to town.

Opinions vary. These are mine today.

nofearfactor

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I like the small frame .357 guns and recommend (putting on Nomex here) that they practice with low power .38 special, but carry hot .357. Reasoning is that if you get in a deal, recoil will be the last thing you will notice, and if you build a fear of firing on the range, it could follow you to town.
This is what I do. I save the .357 for HD and burn up the boxes of 38 out at the farm when shooting it. I have never bought or shot the 38 +P tho and dont plan on it.

Sanford

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We had a thread on here once saying the .22 mag should be a great SD round. I put one across the chrony from a 2" pistol, and got 1200 fps.

This is sort of interesting.

www.hornady.com_assets_images_products_ammo_gel_critical_defense_compare_22wmr_380auto.jpg

The top bullet is a 380 Auto 90 gr. Critical Defense round at 896 fps from a 2.75" barrel Ruger LCP. The bottom bullet is a 22 WMR 45 gr. Critical Defense round from a S&W 351 PD with a 1-7/8" barrel at 1038 fps.

Oh, and I'll vote for my .25 Raven ... so there!

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This is sort of interesting.

www.hornady.com_assets_images_products_ammo_gel_critical_defense_compare_22wmr_380auto.jpg

It is interesting. There was another thread I can't find that had .22LR out penetrating some CF's

My point in doing the test on the chrony was to point out that the 2500fps rifle round in .22mag, was reduced to 1200fps by the 2" barrel length. Lots of unburnt powder out the barrel of the little gun.

All that being said, IF the ammo folks would put a fast burn powder in a .22 mag PISTOL round for higher velocity, it would be a deadly combo.

Similar to how the ammo manufacturers restructured the .410 ammo for the Taurus Judge.

Edit: I would love to have some .22 Mag ammo designed for my .22 mag, AMT auto mag pistol.

If you want to light up the sky with a fireball, this is the gun to use with current ammo! :D

Sanford

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It is interesting. There was another thread I can't find that had .22LR out penetrating some CF's

My point in doing the test on the chrony was to point out that the 2500fps rifle round in .22mag, was reduced to 1200fps by the 2" barrel length. Lots of unburnt powder out the barrel of the little gun.

All that being said, IF the ammo folks would put a fast burn powder in a .22 mag PISTOL round for higher velocity, it would be a deadly combo.

Similar to how the ammo manufacturers restructured the .410 ammo for the Taurus Judge.

Edit: I would love to have some .22 Mag ammo designed for my .22 mag, AMT auto mag pistol.

If you want to light up the sky with a fireball, this is the gun to use with current ammo! :D

Hornady claims the .22 WMR CD is "Optimized for short-barreled firearms, the 22 WMR features clean burning propellants with low flash and blast to help protect night vision."

Latest posts

Top Bottom