Just a quick poll... what would you spend to help a friend?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lurkerinthewoods

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score
It was in my friend's vehicle, so it would be on her insurance, not his. I also feel for him, as he he is living in a camper behind their house, because his scummy parents are... well.... scum. Long story, but he's a good kid who really doesn't need anything else bad happening to him right now. :(

I guess knowing the whole story would have changed my comment some. Kid still needs to learn how to drive. :-)

Neanderthal

In Remembrance / March 2023
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would have gave the kid a swift roundhouse kick to the stomach. As he doubled over in pain, I would masterfully perform a flying bohemian high-kick straight to his chin that would make Mr. Miagi puff up his chest with pride. As his head snapped back, I would deftly snatch his jugular in some super-duper ninja death clutch. With eyes bulging back in his head he would eventually croak out a promise to repay every penny, with 85% interest, compounded weekly.

Or, I'd not speak a word of it and realize that with good deeds, comes good things.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Had been dating my now wife, about a year. Was leaving her house about midnight. I'd parked my bronco behind her dads blazer, and when I got ready to leave, for some reason, I didn't step on the clutch and turned the key. My bronco lunged forward, his trailer ball bulls eyed my bumper, the edges of my brush guard creased (gashed) his bumper in two places about a foot from the ends. My wife comes out to see what happened, goes back in to tell her parents. She knocks on their bedroom door,"dad, Bobby ran into the back of your blazer." He replied, "Is he hurt". "No" she said. "Ok then, we'll talk about it tomorrow". So I go back over the next day, he's completely in awe about centered the impact was, almost like I'd measured from the ends of the bumper then dented it. He said no big deal, and then proceeded to tell me how he'd rolled his father in laws truck..........................on his second date with my wife's mom, lol. tRIdiot you did a good thing.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well... took the Z to the repair shop today. Had to stay up a couple extra hours till they opened after working night shift and then get them to drive me home (about 20 minutes each way). Go to bed and wake later to a text message from them asking me to call as soon as possible.

Uh oh.

So... pics.
i236.photobucket.com_albums_ff121_tRdoc_20130826_081048_zps634c0f89.jpg

i236.photobucket.com_albums_ff121_tRdoc_20130826_081056_zps921f5ca7.jpg

Initial estimate was just over $1,900. The call I got was... of course... they found more damage. Now we're looking at something like $3,500. They assumed with the increase I was gonna go ahead and claim it on insurance, but as more time has gone by, I just can't do it. It would be insurance fraud, and I am trying to be a good guy here. Trying to help out my friend so she doesn't have a claim on her insurance, 'cause she is constantly stressed out because her ex is a total douche-nizzle who would have absolutely berated her for this every chance he got. So, in the process... I am shelling out thousands. Just whining... sorry.

fml

That coulda been a helluva nice Caribbean vacation for two right there. :(

uncle money bags

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Damn, that sucks dude. I gotta applaud your taking the route you have though.

BTW, i sent you a pm asking for an explanation regarding your response below. Would you enlighten me on what I missed?

You said you would take care of it.
That would be the end of the story for me.

Uh huh... ok. I'm just gonna let that go.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Damn, that sucks dude. I gotta applaud your taking the route you have though.

BTW, i sent you a pm asking for an explanation regarding your response below. Would you enlighten me on what I missed?

Eh, it was nothing. I was probably just having an off day and misunderstood something. Honestly I've slept, couldn't say. No biggie.

Tyson C.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
have you had any other shops give you an estimate. also you can get on line or Pull-a-part and maybe find used parts to fix what you got?

an example, my story: i have a 2010 scion TC. the top is all glass; 3windows. my wife drives it to my sons baseball practice...you guessed it, foul ball, busted the only window that can not be replaced (only window that does not move, it is fixed to the framing). the window repalced through Toyota is $2,800....OUCH. talked to a friend of mine that runs a body shop and we found a "used" one for $500. apparantly the car it was on was smashed up front and the top was fine. my used "replacement" looks brand new......

thats why i say you might shop around, maybe buy a fender and if it needs paint have them paint it and or they repaint the used fender and you put the fender and light in. LABOR KILLS at body shops. maybe have the kid help you out and he learn the lesson that way, maybe pick up a trade and not have to pay out of pocket.

i think its good what you did, but hate to see ya lose out on that much $$

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah I thought of that... but it's a little late now. Ugh. And since the single headlight alone is nearly a grand, I'm guessing that is one of the first things picked out at the graveyards. :(

Latest posts

Top Bottom