Just found this on yahoo. Student loan forgiveness

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

loudshirt

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just saw this on Yahoo.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/45040659/ns/us_news-life/#.TqoRv7KxxBk

I find it kind of interesting. Some of the people are blaming the student loans for the lifestyle they lead now. It just amazes me that people will sign their life away for something they want and when it is time to pay the piper they say how unfair it is. I think if they get student loan forgiveness then they should not be able to keep the degree they received with the money. So if you became an M.D. with student loans and you get loan forgiveness you are not allowed to work as a Dr. or list any education you received with those loans. Every other large loan has something physical attached, house or car or other item of value. If you can not pay the loan you loose the item.

JonN06

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I agree, it should be like any other loan you don't pay off. You lose what you don't pay for. I am a young person still off and on trying to finish my degree. It's just so frustrating that these people think that they should just get a college education and not have to pay it all back. Often times student loans also involve living expenses and spending money during the time frame. All this money, and to think hey I just don't really feel like I should have to pay for all this.

When did American's start feeling like they were entitled to everything they want for free?

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Maybe if you could exist in a free market and make enough money to pay back what you borrowed, that would be a legitimate complaint... however, when the .gov is actively working to undermine the free market and limit your earning potential, telling you and everyone who will listen that you are just a greedy bastard profiting off of other people's misery, it's not exactly a level playing field is it?

What other field than the one you mentioned is the .gov actually working every day to reduce your income and profitability, take over your industry and force you to work under .gov-imposed restrictions?

Just curious, since you seem to know so much about how the whole system works and what's fair and whatnot.

VitruvianDoc

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As a student in his 2nd year of medical school, you seriously offend me.

I busted my ass in my undergrad and between scholarships and working 40+ hours a week I walked away debt free. I have a passion for medicine. Graduate level degrees have nil when it comes scholarship opportunities and for the rigors of my schooling, I can NOT work. I pull 14-16 hour days between class and studying and I am lucky to sleep 7 hours. The cost of medical school has gone from 8 thousand for the entire schooling in the late 90's to currently a minimum of 80 grand in tuition. Due to being incapable of work, I now face a minimum of 160 grand in loans to scrape by eating ramen, etc.

Now, I get out of school with 200k in debt due to the HIGH interest rate of 6.8% that accumulates during schooling, which is going up since subsidized loans were ELIMINATED so 220k is now a closer reality.

I then go to a residency and for a minimum of 4 years, most often 6 years, take a salary of 50k a year and pay less than a quarter of the interest on my loans in order to scrape by eating ramen noodles working 80-100 hours work weeks in the name of bettering health.

I graduate and get my final license at a grand total of 265K when I receive my first paycheck.

And you say that when the government offers to help me get on my feet, that I ought to lose my lisence?

Seriously... And then to mention the fact that Medicare reimbursements no longer meet the minimum costs of procedures so most doctors LOSE money by treating medicare/medicaid patients. How in the hell am I ever supposed to break even?

Subsonic

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
As a student in his 2nd year of medical school, you seriously offend me.

He was talking about the people that are complaining about having to pay their loans at the end, not responsible, hard working students such as yourself. The ones that want their debt wiped away just because they don't want to pay it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom