Just found this on yahoo. Student loan forgiveness

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
He was talking about the people that are complaining about having to pay their loans at the end, not responsible, hard working students such as yourself. The ones that want their debt wiped away just because they don't want to pay it.
Part of the point is that the economy has been so screwed by .gov interference, it can make it prohibitive to have skyrocketing debt and salaries that are not competitive at all. Since he specifically brought up medicine, I'd like to hear his answer to the problem. Personally, my tuition went up >100% in 4 years of medical school, from $24k/year to over $50k per year. For tuition ALONE. Not including any other supplies, books or cost of living. Add to that the fact that many primary care physicians (you know, the ones they keep screaming they need more of every year?) make well under $150k/year, and in some places LESS THAN $100K PER YEAR. That's right... fully licensed and qualified, board-certified primary care PHYSICIANS making less than 6 figures.

Kinda hard to reconcile, isn't it?

dieseltech09

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I pay almost $600 a month in student loan payments. I have an associates degree and a technical diploma. With out my degrees I wouldn't have the the job I have now then again I wouldn't have a $600 a month loan payment either. I heard on the radio this morning that there is $1 trillion in outstanding government back student loans. $1 trillion and tuition keeps going up. When I graduated college in 2006 you could borrow $35,000 a year for school. I don't think I should get to walk away from my loans but I do think its ******** that for the majority of the college students you have to pile on a mountain a debt to get a piece of paper to get a decent paying job.

Buddhaman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have mixed feelings about student loans. On one hand I wouldn't be in college now if it wasn't for being able to borrow but on the other I'll be $40k+ in debt when I do graduate. Of course things wouldn't be so bad if the stupid tuition rates wouldn't keep going up EVERY YEAR THAT I'VE BEEN IN COLLEGE!!!! The schools need to re-think their strategy for graduating students and cut out the crappy gen-ed courses that I never use and had to pay for. Will I have a decent job when I graduate? I hope so. Will I ever use my ancient Asian history knowledge? Not unless I end up on some gameshow. The loan companies know their prey, poor teens hoping to get into college and be better off than their parents. The problem is they also have jacked up percentage rates that keep them in debt for 20yrs (mine started at 11% and are down to 6%). Once again it all falls on the banks and lending companies for causing EXCESS DEBT. Note that I said EXCESS, meaning most students would still need to borrow to attend school but someone sets the interest rates too high. I'll accept a partial forgiveness of my student loans, say 1/2 of the interest ($10k or so) but I knew when I wanted to go to college that I was going to pay for it one way or another.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
One only needs to look at the tuition increases that are almost always double the rate of inflation or more to figure out that college degrees are a racket. You're paying for a LOT of stuff that has no bearing on your education. I have little empathy for those that overpay for a degree and I have less than zero empathy for the colleges that sell them. The cost of higher education ranks right up there with health care as one of the biggest scams ever perpetrated on the American public. :(

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Higher education will be the next economic bubble to pop.

cdn.theatlantic.com_static_mt_assets_business_crazy_20student_20loans_202011_q2.png

Maverick21

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I, like VitruvianDoc, worked my ass of through my undergrad. 50 hours a week while taking 12 - 18 hours in classes a week and I left debt free. I had the option of going to school elsewhere and using student loans but decided to sacrifice and live at home cheap and work through school instead. Some of these people act like they had no clue what the consequences were when they signed that little piece of paper.

Vitruvian. You seem to have a good thing going for you, so just stick with it if it's what you're passionate about. Good luck going forward.

VitruvianDoc

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I do believe the parents should get aid too, but the number one issue is they need to get tuition under control.

I went to a regional college and they were building and remodeling like there was no tomorrow yet they were complaining that they had to increase tuition in order to stay afloat. Colleges know they can charge what they like since students have the "need" to go to them and the Gov't provides the unjustified support to pay for it.

BTW you realize there are only two ways to get out of student loans: Death and Repayment. Student loans can NOT be discharged under bankruptcy, can't be forgiven for disability, etc. Student loans are actually worse than taxes.

Larry Morgan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I say that if a student can't pay for college then he/she shouldn't go.

This will happen soon. I and a few others at work were talking about it, and we all believe that student loans are the next bubble that's about to burst. I believe overly accessible student loans truly have artificially inflated tuition prices, much like overly accessible mortgages over inflated housing costs, until the bubble burst. Once the bubble on student loans goes, tuition prices will fall. Then, people will be able to work their way through college again (hopefully). Those who can't, however, will not be able to go.

It's a self feeding cycle. Why does tuition hike up so much every year? Simple, because the financial aid office makes it as easy as filling out a form or pushing a button to pay that tuition with money you don't have. Since it's so easy for everyone to go to college with borrowed money, now every employer and their dog requires a degree just to be looked at, making student feel the necessity to go.

I was lucky enough to go to a cheaper state school, get some scholarships, work part time, and have parents who busted their hump to help me with tuition. When the economy tanked, my parents weren't immune, and I had to take out bank loans (no mamby-pamby student loans) to pay tuition. In hindsight, those were probably better, because I couldn't drag them out for years and years after school, they had a fixed loan term.

Latest posts

Top Bottom