knife question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michael Brown

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hello Michael,

Just curious: What do you think of the Spyderco Bill Moran knives
http://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details.php?product=43

Looked around to price the Polkowski Kasper Companion and looks like these have been discontinued and I ran into these ones from Spyderco. I have a large TDI and I like it ok but I just cant get used to the angle of the blade to handle.

I think the Moran knives are great as long as you use the drop point version.

An upswept design is for slashing. Thrusting is what you're looking for in a personal protection blade unless you have a huge blade like a bowie or kukri which are illegal to carry.

For any small blade, the sytem behind it needs to be point-driven rather than edge driven. For this reason, I prefer an edge in design rather than edge out but that is personal preference.

IMO, you could get just as much knife for a lot less money but if you really like the Moran design, it's just fine.

PM Tulsadave on this forum (he designs all of my sheaths) and he can hook you up with several blade designs and a great sheath as well as a trainer for whatever blade you choose.

Michael Brown

fm2

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
.... the CRKT Polkowski Kasper Companion ... do you think it's a little on the large side to comfortably conceal compared to the TDI, Snody Resistor or some of the others? Unlike you, I'm a little guy at about 5'7" and when knives start pushing 9" long IWB carry gets a little awkward for me. (Unless I'm just doing it all wrong. :D)

I'll hop in here, knives with 5 1/2" OAL offer a good combination of concealment/blade length/handle length/usability. That's what makes the TDI knife nice. That said, I have been carrying a 7 1/2" OAL knife, in it's place, and nobody has said anything or made it obvious that they noticed the bump.

The main problem is the poorly designed sheaths they come with. It is very important to get the FFG on the knife while it's in it's sheath, and most knives the sheath doen't allow that. Tulsadave is the guy to fix that issue.

sanjuro893

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just a quick FYI for everybody, there's no state limit on blade length, but city ordinances could differ. I just spoke with an Oklahoma City P.D. Lt. that said 4 inches is the city statute.

cubby55

Marksman
Reaction score
In this section of the SDA

It shall be unlawful for any person to carry upon or about his or her person, or in a purse or other container belonging to the person, any pistol, revolver, shotgun or rifle whether loaded or unloaded or any dagger, bowie knife, dirk knife, switchblade knife, spring-type knife, sword cane, knife having a blade which opens automatically by hand pressure applied to a button, spring, or other device in the handle of the knife, blackjack, loaded cane, billy, hand chain, metal knuckles, or any other offensive weapon, whether such weapon be concealed or unconcealed, except this section shall not prohibit:

does spring-type knife include assisted opening knives such as those made by Buck and Kershaw?

Yes, and no.
I carry an automatic knife, auto opener, switch-blade, and I have gathered many opinions from law enforcement personnel on the interpretation of the statutes. In a nutshell, here's what I've learned:
If you get arrested for a crime against society......drugs, rape, murder, etc., and if you are carrying any of the weapons you listed, you will get another charge, and most judges will tack on additional time to any sentence imposed. If you are just John Q Citizen, then every Police officer I ever questioned (about this subject) could care less about the knife you are carrying.
I know that this does not answer your question, but if you want the "black and white answer", then yes, spring assisted are illegal.

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
do you have a suggestion?

I like the Ka-Bar TDI 1480. If you can punch, you can do a decent job with it. Of course, there's more to knife-fighting than that.

awww.knivesplus.com_media_KA_1480.jpg

I carry it on my offhand side forward enough that I can access it with either hand (blade up with left hand, blade down with right hand... you can use it either way no problem).

Latest posts

Top Bottom