Laid off. AKA "Career transitions for the IT guy"

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ronny

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Dude! Oklahoma is short of teachers right now. If you have a degree you can alternative certify and becoming a computer teacher, keyboarding, business apps teacher. The other alternative is to go work for a school district. They need lots of help with IT.

One of the best ideas ever, assuming, of course, you can get by on peanuts. Yeah, I know, bad joke. But, unfortunately some truth to it.

Apogee

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My neighbor has been doing handyman stuff for a few years now, charges 35-45 an hour and works when he wants to. Has more people calling for work than he can even begin to handle.

ronny

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I retired 18 years ago and soon after began working with the Southern Okla Church Builders. In that time, I've learned a lot about the building trade. I know now that I could have been very happy in that arena as a career. Mind you, I not involved in serious plumbing, electrical, hvac, etc. I leave that to the qualified. But, most of the rest is something you can learn pretty quickly. And, at least down here around Ardmore, craftsmen are in constant demand. And, once established, you can pretty well pick your times to work and your times to play.

All this is an oversimplification, of course, but it's also reality today.

Latest posts

Top Bottom