Lautenberg / Carolyn McCarthy to reintroduce gun-ban bill

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Crazy people will find a way to do what they do. As a society, we have to expect some tragedy to happen. It is not entirely preventable.

If it wasn't 33 round magazines, he would have had a half dozen 10 round ones (and could have been as effective if trained on reloading). If it wasn't guns, it would have been knives or bombs or ???

On the other side, to think that a group of armed CCWs should have a mission to defend the public safety is equally naive. Armed citizens certainly have a place. A bunch of CCWers (or open carriers ,for that matter) whipping out pistols in this large chaotic scene and firing to "save the day" scares me. Even if I was armed, I would run like hell from that scene!

Perhaps at VA Tech, it would have made a difference. From how quickly it seems this event took place, I am skeptical.

We gotta accept that "crazy happens." Doesn't mean we have to like it. Doesn't mean I am making an excuse for it.

OkieMoe

WHEELMAN
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Quote:
One of the fiercest gun-control advocates in Congress, Rep. Carolyn McCarthy (D-N.Y.), pounced on the shooting massacre in Tucson Sunday, promising to introduce legislation as soon as Monday targeting the high-capacity ammunition clip the gunman used.

http://www.politico.com/news/stories...#ixzz1Aeofs1cQ

The bodies are still warm, but this person see's an opportunity to further her agenda, you go girl!

Makes me sick..

MaddSkillz

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Crazy people will find a way to do what they do. As a society, we have to expect some tragedy to happen. It is not entirely preventable.

If it wasn't 33 round magazines, he would have had a half dozen 10 round ones (and could have been as effective if trained on reloading). If it wasn't guns, it would have been knives or bombs or ???

On the other side, to think that a group of armed CCWs should have a mission to defend the public safety is equally naive. Armed citizens certainly have a place. A bunch of CCWers (or open carriers ,for that matter) whipping out pistols in this large chaotic scene and firing to "save the day" scares me. Even if I was armed, I would run like hell from that scene!

Perhaps at VA Tech, it would have made a difference. From how quickly it seems this event took place, I am skeptical.

We gotta accept that "crazy happens." Doesn't mean we have to like it. Doesn't mean I am making an excuse for it.

I agree to an extent. There comes a point when you notice a person is just shooting random people and you feel your life could be next. It's not so much about protecting the public as it is about avoiding being next.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Aside from airplaines, I say bombs (binary explosives). Kehoe used dynamite in a school to kill 45. Of course McVeigh used fertilizer to kill 168.

There are numerous fires that have killed in the dozens. A "Circus Fire" was a name given to many of them.

I guess I should have excluded McVeigh, as his was a terrorist attack. Some other good guesses with blankets and other Indian attacks, but that wasn't the direction I was headed either. I was looking for a plain, old fashioned murder. The answer is the Happy Land arson/murder of 87 people in the Bronx in 1990. No one ever remembers it because he just used some gasoline and a couple of matches.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Happy_Land_fire

grizzly97

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I guess I should have excluded McVeigh, as his was a terrorist attack. Some other good guesses with blankets and other Indian attacks, but that wasn't the direction I was headed either. I was looking for a plain, old fashioned murder. The answer is the Happy Land arson/murder of 87 people in the Bronx in 1990. No one ever remembers it because he just used some gasoline and a couple of matches.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Happy_Land_fire

Wow. That's crazy! Guess we should outlaw gasoline and matches, just to make sure no one ever does it again. :screwy:

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I agree to an extent. There comes a point when you notice a person is just shooting random people and you feel your life could be next. It's not so much about protecting the public as it is about avoiding being next.

I understand, it's a careful balance.

And thanks for reading into what I said correctly and not taking it as an affront of sorts :) It was difficult to try to get my message across without sounding cynical of CCW, which I am not (of course! Why else would I be on the forum?!)

Latest posts

Top Bottom