Leaving it in the car ... or truck

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WessonOil

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't have room to fit a vault under my seats. I was thinking about putting it in the trunk, but I was told that was a bad idea because the trunk typically doesn't set off the car alarm if it's breached.

Yeah, mine didn't fit uder my seats either because my seat adjustment is located under there. (It's a manual adjustment in a pickup.)
I wrapped the cable around the seat mount, and just throw crap on top if it.

cody6766

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I tried putting a bear safe in my Corvette but it kept falling over in my lap while I was driving.
haha, I bet that stung a little.

I don't doubt their quality, but I'd be curious to see an independent video of the same thing happening to one of their safes. I don't know anything about them, so my curiosity is only coming from that video. I just get a little skeptical when advertisers play ominous music, toss out dumb numbers (really? 1 minute to locate the safe, empty it and leave?) and don't show their product undergoing the same process they're busting competitors for. I'd bet they'd hold up and I'm sure the break in time they're talking about is probably in the realm of 5 mins (fast enough), but the ad sucks.

Back on topic...
I would probably toss mine in the console if I happened to be w/o kiddos that aren't strapped in that may be in and out of the car w/o me. Right now mine are car seat bound and my permit is still on order, so it's a non issue. I'll probably buy a little safe and secure it under the seat. If someone wants it, they'll get it. If it's just some punk ass, smash and grab kid job they will probably leave anything that is secured and not obviously valuable. It's probably worth the $30 and the under-seat space.

Okie4Life

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't doubt their quality, but I'd be curious to see an independent video of the same thing happening to one of their safes. I don't know anything about them, so my curiosity is only coming from that video. I just get a little skeptical when advertisers play ominous music, toss out dumb numbers (really? 1 minute to locate the safe, empty it and leave?) and don't show their product undergoing the same process they're busting competitors for. I'd bet they'd hold up and I'm sure the break in time they're talking about is probably in the realm of 5 mins (fast enough), but the ad sucks.

Totally agree. I don't own one and personally haven't seen one, but thought the video was interesting.

As far a in car storage. The console is my go-to. There are no kids around and the inside of the truck stays pretty clean with no gizmos laying around to entice a smash and grab scenario.
Be interesting to see some statistics about guns that have been stolen from vehicles vs the vehicles that have NRA/Hunting/Gun decals.

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a lock box mounted to the center hump in my truck. After seeing this thread, I'm going to upgrade from a key access to something like a push button combination.

rlongnt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
True, but as the guys at Bear safes demonstrate that logic is the same for most safes in your home.

That’s no joke! The mechanism that locks the lugs screwed up inside my safe after about 10 years. Granted it was a smaller model in the $650 price range so it wasn’t even as nice as the one in the video. It took me about 10 min to get the door open which really amazed me “in a bad way”.

I took the time to lag bolt the darn thing into the concrete which seems kind of silly now that I know how easy it was to breach.

Last edited by a moderator:

usmcvet9803

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I guess it depends on your personal risk assessment. I rarely leave mine in a car, but when I do, I just stuff it under something... I really haven't personally come across any car safes that I thought would really stop someone and where also affordable... IMHO it is a feel good mood and mostly gives someone a false sense of security..

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't have room to fit a vault under my seats. I was thinking about putting it in the trunk, but I was told that was a bad idea because the trunk typically doesn't set off the car alarm if it's breached.

If you have an alarm in your vehicle they often come with a sensor to detect the car being jostled. Breaking into a trunk will likely cause that to go off. But in any case you can have a shop put a door pin in the trunk and tie it in to the system. While they are doing that have them add one to the fuel tank door as well.

Sanford

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you have an alarm in your vehicle they often come with a sensor to detect the car being jostled. Breaking into a trunk will likely cause that to go off. But in any case you can have a shop put a door pin in the trunk and tie it in to the system. While they are doing that have them add one to the fuel tank door as well.
Many/most inexpensive alarm systems, including some OEM, are set up to detect changes in electrical current such as when the inside light, under hood light, or trunk light come on.

Sanford

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for all the ideas, people! The various comments and suggestions got me pointed in a direction I'm comfortable with for now.

Even some ideas for how to make sure I have more options in my next vehicle.

[Broken External Image]

Latest posts

Top Bottom