Leaving it in the car ... or truck

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WessonOil

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I guess it depends on your personal risk assessment. I rarely leave mine in a car, but when I do, I just stuff it under something... I really haven't personally come across any car safes that I thought would really stop someone and where also affordable... IMHO it is a feel good mood and mostly gives someone a false sense of security..

"Stuffing your gun under something" is probably the ultimate false sense of security.

I personally have come cross car safes that stop people for the length of time I needed, as I researched them and ultimately bought one.

I handed it to my 8 year old grandson and told him to try opening it using the combination, and after many tries it shut off.

I reset it, had him try again.

No luck.

No hammer or screwdrivers for he or any other child to use on it.

Perhaps we could have an experiment where we place your unloaded gun "under stuff" in your vehicle, I place mine in my gunsafe, we let three elementary kids play in the vehicle, and see which of us two breaks out in a sweat first? :)

By the same token, if someone wants to sit in my vehicle in broad daylight and try to open the gun safe while I'm buying a book of stamps, then so be it. :)

I used the door pocket of my truck these last several years, and I can say for a fact that I know it's safer in my gun safe that either cannot be opened or takes many minutes, than just reaching into my door and taking it.

Especially since my full frame S&W M&P isn't concealed by the door pocket.

Lenonthelake

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
430505_L1.jpeg I bought a Nano 200. I bolted it through the floor boards with 3/8 inch bolts, two of them. Under the seat. You cant see them with the seat in the driving position. It is a key lock, it would not stand up to the bear safe bad guys, but I dont think they could get the big prybar in the car. The small one maybe. It is secure enough for when it will be in there, most of the time it stays with me.

WessonOil

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
One of the things to consider is the locking mechanism.

As a rule, key locks tend to have steel locking mechanisms, which is nice.
However, on occasion I have to hand my truck keys to get something out of my truck, and I'll be at a locale where my gun has to be in the safe, so I don't like the fact someone has a key to my safe also.
Can also be an issue getting the key into the hole when dark or panicked.

Dial type combination locks where you line up four numbers were almost universally receiving bad reviews for their poorly constructed mechanisms.

The Gunvault model NV400 I went with was a brand new entry to their lineup, and it was by accident I even discovered it, as it wasn't even listed on their website yet.

FYI, you can set the combination to be opened as easily as just hitting one key, #1 for instance, three times quickly and have it opened in three seconds or less.

rr2008

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
most cars have doors that lock and secures the vehicle (not convertible, no hillbilly windows, etc), out of sight in locked unoccupied vehicle seems to measure up to intent of the law.

WessonOil

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My main concern is that few moments when a child is in my vehicle sometimes.

My pickup is four door and has manual locks, so I have to do a visual each time other people get in and out of it to make sure they locked it.

I simply am not going to feel bad for having one more level of protection for my firearm.

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Center of Mass gun safe. I think Sportsman Guide has them. Get the biggest one.

I have two of these. One with the key lock and the other with the three number combination lock. The one with the key lock difficult to open with a gun inside. The gun puts upward pressure on the lid and makes it difficult to open. You have to push down on the lid at the same time you're turning the key to get it to work right.

The combination lock on the other one broke after being opened less than a dozen times. Only one number in the lock will rotate.

DanB

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have an 02 F150 Supercrew. it has the center console between the captains chairs. The black cup holder insert pops out revealing an area large enough to fit a fullsized handgun with holster plus some. Easily overlooked if you are going for a smash and grab.

I need to see if this area is large enough to fit one of the clam shell car safe similar to what was posted above. At the bottom of the opening are two bolts that secure the console to the floor. Would be a perfect mount for a securing cable for the safe.

WessonOil

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have two of these. One with the key lock and the other with the three number combination lock. The one with the key lock difficult to open with a gun inside. The gun puts upward pressure on the lid and makes it difficult to open. You have to push down on the lid at the same time you're turning the key to get it to work right.

The combination lock on the other one broke after being opened less than a dozen times. Only one number in the lock will rotate.

There didn't seem to be a single combination lock that got good reviews, I'm afraid.

Skiluvr03

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If I go somewhere and I know I can't take my gun inside with me, I take my cheap-o Keltec P-11 with me and put it in the glovebox. Otherwise, I carry my Glock 30 and never take it off. One thing for sure, I don't leave the house without one. I will shop around for a little safe that I can secure to the bottom of the seat or something for a little added security, or peace of mind.

Latest posts

Top Bottom