Little bit of an eye opener

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BIG_MIKE2005

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Most employers do not allow employees to carry at work, I see no reason why a school would be any different. Sorry, I want teachers to teach, hire security to protect the kids and the teachers.

Just my .02...

You gonna pay for all the armed guards across Oklahoma? Cause we all know our schools don't even have the proper funding for supplies, teachers, room for students & so fourth. they struggle to maintain education standards with the tiny budget they are given. You wanna lose more teachers & increase class sizes even more to cover the cost? Cause you know citizens don't wanna pay any higher taxes than we already do. A simple solution is Cleet trained & certified teachers with monthly evaluations at a range for any teacher who decides to carry in order to keep them certified. I'm sure there are ranges & instructors out there who would volunteer time for the certifications for teachers wanting to do this. so thats a FREE or at least extremely cheap way to boost security at schools without effecting the school funding.

Yes, teachers are there to teach our kids. But we also trust them to protect our children while they are in their care. Yet you don't want to give them any means necessary to do so? The current plan of hide in a room & lock the door has proven to be a failure. Teachers need to be empowered to actually protect children if the need arises.

Danwm

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
The Posse Comitatus Act is the United States federal law (18 U.S.C. § 1385, original at 20 Stat. 152) that was passed on June 18, 1878, after the end of Reconstruction and was updated in 1981. Its intent (in concert with the Insurrection Act of 1807) was to limit the powers of Federal government in using federal military personnel to enforce the State laws. Contrary to popular belief, the Act does not prohibit members of the United States Armed Forces from exercising Law enforcement agency powers within a State, police, or peace officer powers that maintain "law and order"; it requires that any authority to do so must exist within the United States Constitution or Act of Congress (which it currently does not except under the Insurrection Act).{Federalist 29 (Hamilton, 1788)} Any use of the Armed Forces under either Title 10/Active Duty or Title 10/Reserves at the direction of the President will offend the Constitutional Law also known as Public Law prohibiting such action unless declared by the President of the United States and approved by Congress. Any infringement will be problematic for political and legal reasons.

Sorry,,,, Didn't know that. I guess only Ovomit can change that, he can do what ever he wants to do.

LightningCrash

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No I am asking for proof that it would have made a difference, we all believe it would have, but the anti-gun folks don't.
You can't just take a given incident and assert that if you had a person in hallway 3 room 12 with a Glock 17 in an OWB at 9' o clock and 3 15rd magazines that she could have engaged the shooter within 90 seconds, fired 10 shots and ended the conflict with 7 critical hits to the shooter's torso.
This is just a suggestive question, again to derail the discussion.

I don't know the solution, but I don't hear it coming from anyone else either, and I know that with no solution the opposition will take the easiest path. I'm not derailing the thread, I'm trying to get folks to think about what we can do, and produce lucid, credible arguments. The "it's my right" argument isn't working(IMO), people are more concerned about their right to marry their life partner it seems...
So at this point you would reject teacher carry, because the bill isn't big enough in breadth?

The larger gun rights discussion is certainly valid... elsewhere. I see no reason to deny small progress in Oklahoma on the grounds that it's not the one magic solution to the entire gun rights problem in the United States.

I posted this little bit of info back when this all started and feel it bears reposting.

770 school districts in the state.
I'll guess maybe 3500 actual school buildings.
One armed (1) security guard per school would run in the neighborhood of $105,000,000.00 at $30,00.00 per year per guard.
You see that flying in today's economy?

Just curious. Does anyone know how many have guards on staff already?

mugsy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The Posse Comitatus Act is the United States federal law (18 U.S.C. § 1385, original at 20 Stat. 152) that was passed on June 18, 1878, after the end of Reconstruction and was updated in 1981. Its intent (in concert with the Insurrection Act of 1807) was to limit the powers of Federal government in using federal military personnel to enforce the State laws. Contrary to popular belief, the Act does not prohibit members of the United States Armed Forces from exercising Law enforcement agency powers within a State, police, or peace officer powers that maintain "law and order"; it requires that any authority to do so must exist within the United States Constitution or Act of Congress (which it currently does not except under the Insurrection Act).{Federalist 29 (Hamilton, 1788)} Any use of the Armed Forces under either Title 10/Active Duty or Title 10/Reserves at the direction of the President will offend the Constitutional Law also known as Public Law prohibiting such action unless declared by the President of the United States and approved by Congress. Any infringement will be problematic for political and legal reasons.

They could be transferred to State National Guard units and then act under the Guard's Title 32 authority. The USAF calls this type transfer Palace Chase and I am sure the Army has an equivalent but I do not know the name of the program. No need to invoke the Insurrection Act nor is there a Posse Comitatus issue as long as they aren't Federalized.

Latest posts

Top Bottom