Little bit of an eye opener

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shorton

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have been thinking about posting this for a week or so now, wasn't really sure I wanted to talk about a private conversation out of context, but here we go. I'm not really a politically involved person and therefore I don't pretend to have a lot of knowledge, but that is exactly the problem it seems. i was at a benefit dinner for an adoption agency about a week ago and ended up meeting some semi influential people. I was sitting at the table with a couple of mayors, the owner of one of Tulsa's biggest car dealerships, my girlfriend, and a funeral director. The funeral director and I were discussing the current situation on proposed gun laws and surrounding facts and issues. I happened to mention that I had seen a news report that talked about teachers in Oklahoma being allowed to carry concealed weapons if they were so inclined, and had their permit. One of the mayors, who evidently spends a great deal of time at the capitol, then proceeded to tell me that it would never happen and the idea had been pretty much squashed. When I asked why, he gave me a long explanation involving state responsibility, insurance questions, and various other reasons. Don't get me wrong here, I am pretty sure he was pro gun, he just knows how the system works in OKC. The one reason he gave me that made me think the most, was that most proposed laws don't pass because nobody goes to the capitol to lobby for support. He went on to say that most people don't even know how or who to lobby for support. He also went on to say that when the state government meets to talk about proposals they usually have about 3500 pieces of legislation to look at! 3500!!!! He said they spend most of their time wading through all the red tape and nobody is there to watch what is happening, so a lot of good legislation dies because people simply just don't care. I understand that people have lives to lead and work to do, I'm just as guilty as anyone. But we as a society, need to start paying more attention to what is going on. Whether you are for or against any issue, including gun control, get yourself educated. I hate that my apathy has lasted this long and that it took someone else explaining things to get me motivated. Not sure where or what to start looking at, but I intend to do just that.

At the end of this conversation I asked this mayor to ask this question next time he was in OKC talking about legislation. Every year in this country, we spend millions of dollars on guarding our money, why would we not do the same for our children? He agreed it was a good question.

Shoot Summ

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Most employers do not allow employees to carry at work, I see no reason why a school would be any different. Sorry, I want teachers to teach, hire security to protect the kids and the teachers.

Just my .02...

OKCHunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Most employers do not allow employees to carry at work, I see no reason why a school would be any different. Sorry, I want teachers to teach, hire security to protect the kids and the teachers.

Just my .02...

Nobody should be prevented from the right to defend themselves.

jakerz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Just my .02...

You would have to hire a lot of security guards.... They can't be everywhere at once. I'd prefer the teachers carried and there be security. My wife is a teacher. Why can she not have the option to defend herself at all times?

And who are you to say that she, or anyone else for that matter, should only be able to have the option to defend themselves when it's convenient for everyone else?

Shoot Summ

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You would have to hire a lot of security guards.... They can't be everywhere at once. I'd prefer the teachers carried and there be security. My wife is a teacher. Why can she not have the option to defend herself at all times?

And who are you to say that she, or anyone else for that matter, should only be able to have the option to defend themselves when it's convenient for everyone else?

Just my opinion, you are entitled to yours, I am entitled to mine. If you are going to place the responsibility to protect students via firearms on a teachers shoulders then they should have the same training as an armed guard at a minimum. I can argue the 80%+ of the people that currently carry are incapable of actually using the gun to protect themselves, let alone others, and do so without causing collateral damage.

How do you propose the weapons are secured amongst the students? I'm assuming you have been in a public middle and high school lately? They can't manage the behavior of the students very well(due to the parents), I don't see where having guns available to be absconded with is a good thing.

"my opinion"

Latest posts

Top Bottom