Long Range Rifle

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jcann

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hello everyone this is my first post on here but there seems to be a lot of knowledgable people on here and I just wanted to get your thoughts on a new rifle. I am looking to buy a new rifle in 7mm rem mag, mostly for long range target shooting but some hunting as well. What kind of rifle should I get and what kind of optics should I put on it?

***WARNING*** The long range game is expensive I’ve got over $2,500 invested in my rifle alone not to mention scope and reloading equipment.

I’ve reloaded and shot 7mm in a Rem. Mag and/or 7WSM for 35 years now. Both are a wonderful round with high ballistic coefficient (BC) bullets (Hornady, Berger, Scenar, Nosler LR) and with the right set up can be pushed maybe to 1 mile or a little less. Hunting wise you can go after game (deer, antelope, elk?) at 1,000yds.

There are difficulties for those who do not reload for a 7mm Rem. Mag. Mainly there is virtually zero factory manufactured match grade ammo to be had. Gunwerks http://www.gunwerks.com/old-products/productsb/long-range-ammunition.aspx
makes ammo using 168gr Berger bullets. Their ammo is probably loaded to the specifications of their long range rifles but I don’t know this for a fact. Chad at Cooper Creek Ammo http://coppercreekammo.com/index.php?main_page=index will custom load 7mm Rem. mag ammo for you but it is costly. So if your heart’s desire is 7mm Rem. Mag. you need to reload.

Any of the other rounds mentioned, 280 Ackley Improved, 7mm Weatherby mag all suffer the same problem. You need to reload for them. Also I wouldn’t go with a 270wsm. As with all 270 (6.8mm) you have poor long range bullet selection.

As has been stated barrel life is short for 7mm Rem. mag (1,000-1,500 rounds) and if your desire is 1,000 yards or greater it’s going to take practice…and a lot of practice. You’ll probably shoot the barrel out before you achieve consistent desired results.

Recoil, a 7mag has a little push w/o a break, especially shooting 180gr bullets (currently the best for long range work). How are you when it comes to managing recoil?

Shooting range, do you have access where you can shoot 1,000 yards on a consistent basis?

With all that being said you can take a 7mag to 500yds with factory ammo and it should be accurate enough for hunting and steel targets.

Not knowing what type hunting you’ll be doing but you need to determine terminal down range ballistics before you attempt a long range hunt.

You can take this for what it’s worth, maybe ($0.02). Savage makes a fine rifle in a 12 long range precision. Being that you don’t reload I suggest 6.5 Creedmoor. Hornady and Copper Creek make match grade ammo for the Creed. Its ballistics will get you beyond 1,000yds, recoil is greatly reduced and barrel life is greater.

Some people prefer the .308 which is a fine round. You are pushing its limits at 1,000yds (175gr bullet). Is it doable, yes! Is it the best round for the job? In my opinion no! Again in my opinion the 6.5mm (.260) is better in all respects except barrel life.

As far as scopes go check out a Vortex 4-16x50 or 6-24x50 Viper PST. There are better brands but these will serve you well.

Pitzer52

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for all the advice everyone. To be specific I would be mostly using this gun for target shooting not much hunting. I'm not really recoil sensitive (I'm a decent sized guy). I want a good reliable gun that I would know that if I missed it was my fault and nothing else. Preferably with a 24" barrel or longer. I would like to keep the gun under $1000.

undeg01

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You might consider a Remington Sendero in 7mm mag. This gun is very similar to the Remington PSS Series rifles that have been used as sniper rifles by many police departments around the country. There is one listed on Gunbroker now for $995. You can always add a muzzle brake later, if you so desire. Many of us can provide recommendations for local folks that can do that for you.

undeg01

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
For a scope, you might check out the Bushnell Elite Tactical series scopes. You can get an excellent scope with a 30mm tube in the power range that you need for $800 or less if you shop around. I had Leupolds on my sniper rifles in the past but have to say that I love my Bushnell. Never thought I would say that about a Bushnell, but these Elite scopes are great.

Jcann

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for all the advice everyone. To be specific I would be mostly using this gun for target shooting not much hunting. I'm not really recoil sensitive (I'm a decent sized guy). I want a good reliable gun that I would know that if I missed it was my fault and nothing else. Preferably with a 24" barrel or longer. I would like to keep the gun under $1000.

It would behoove you to research more before settling on a 7mag for long range target shooting. Most who endeavor to shoot long range matches do so with 6mm or 6.5mm. Those who do so as a hobby and an occasional match use 308. I routinely shoot 80-100 rounds of 180gr 7wsm in a shooting session. My rifle has a break and recoils like a 243. It's mainly for long range hunting where the advantage of terminal ballistics shines. If you can shoot this many rounds in a shooting session and not develop a flinch....well, you're doing great. My range is set up to 750yds and shooting 10" steel at that range is common. It's not always consistent though due to wind.

You still have the issue of ammo. Even if you start reloading you'll get about 100 rounds per pound of powder. Shooting a short action caliber you'll double your round count. Hence, shooting a short action caliber saves money which allows you to shoot more which eats up your savings. It's a vicious circle.

If you're starting out in this game trying to stay on the cheep, don't start. A Remington is a fine rifle. Eventually you'll want a different trigger, stock, barrel, bottom metal, action work, etc. before you know it you've got $3,000-$3,500 in your rifle $1,000-$2,500 in a scope, and $600-$800 in reloading equipment not to mention a range finder, wind meter, and chronograph.

I'm not trying to talk you out of shooting longer ranges; its a lot of fun. Shooting a different caliber at first will probably make you a better long range shooter quicker and will also do so with less money spent in the long run. Once you master 1K then start looking at the belted magnums.

Basically the 7mag is over kill for what you're wanting to do (target shoot out to 1,000yds). There are much better, less expensive, easier on the body calibers out there.

Pitzer52

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
After reading everyone's posts I see that a lot of you are not fans of the 7mm mag. What caliber and gun do you suggest for someone who is just beginning to get into long range shooting and what kind of gear and accessories do you all suggest?

Jcann

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you're not going to reload I would go with a 6.5 Creedmoor or 308 in a Rem 700 5R, Tika T3, Howa, or Savage in a model 10. Remington has had quality issues as of late so it's a crap shoot on chamber geometry, recoil lug, crown, trigger, and stock fit. Generally their 5R barrels are good. Your Remington rifles will have the most after market support if you want to change things later on.

There are several ammo manufactures that make match grade 308. You can locate ithem using google. Hornady also makes ammo for the 6.5 Creedmoor.

If you're going to reload research the 6.5x47 and 260 Rem. I shoot a 260 in a savage and it shoots lights out but I also reload for it. It's my practice rifle so I don't shoot the barrel out of my GA Precision in 7wsm.

Starting out you'll need rifle, scope, ammo, bipod, rear bag, and maybe a stock pack and data book. Check out
https://www.triadtactical.com
This is one of many places that carries what you need.

Last edited:

shakyhand

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I agree with Jcann, I do not know him but i am certain he spent a lot of $ through trial & error in order to give you what I call good advice. For a first rifle I would go 6.5 creedmore in savage shoot the 140's buy 500 rds if you burn through them quickly buy reloading manual read the first 5 chapters or so take a reloading class at H&H then get a single stage press & a RCBS chargemaster. If you never get through the first 500 bullets then the bug never bit and you saved yourself thousands of dollars.
Just my opinion. There is a good chance the next rifle will be a rem 700 based custom job. But for that first gun savage puts together a great entry level rifle.

undeg01

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
For a new long range shooter wanting to try things out as cheap as possible, you should seriously consider the 308. It can shoot the 500 yards that you are wanting easily, and 1000 yards isn't out of reach. A variety of factory ammo is readily available and there are any number of manufacturers that build factory rifles suitable for what you want to accomplish. By the time you become an accomplished shooter with the 308, if you want to continue in the sport and go for longer range or better accuracy, you can upgrade to another caliber when you can afford a bigger investment.

Of course I am kind of fond of my 308s.

image.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom