Lt. Governor Jari Askins

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'd consider Coburn a "non-politician" for the most part. He seems to put the country above the party affiliation, which is definitely a requirement for a "non-politician". I'm sure there are more, but when I look at the main races in the state, I'm once again voting for the least offensive candidate. :(

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'd consider Coburn a "non-politician" for the most part. He seems to put the country above the party affiliation, which is definitely a requirement for a "non-politician". I'm sure there are more, but when I look at the main races in the state, I'm once again voting for the least offensive candidate. :(

...I disagree about Coburn, but will not derail this thread any further...

jdagreek

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I always find it interesting when non-political people talk about political people. I hope this doesn't surprise anyone, but there are politicians here. If you are not political you are dead. My guess is that 100% of the people who post on this board are political. My guess is that 100% of us are NRA members and there is no more political organization on the face of the earth than the NRA and for good reason.

I served in the Oklahoma State Legislature for 10 years then served in the first Bush [daddy bush] Administration. I am political as I have a political philosophy and it isn't a liberal philosophy.

I would never vote for anyone running for office under the premise that "I am not a politician." That is just running away from the issue. It is deceit at the very beginning. I don't trust people who try to hide behind these kinds of phrases. I also don't trust anyone who throws their religion at me. I have been had by to many of those who proclaim their religious views in public places.

My experience is that there are some really good people holding public office. There are also some crooks and scoundrels as well. And the percentage of crooks holding political office is pretty close to that of the general society.

Holding a political office and trying to do a good job is a thankless job. To really look out for the public interest means we have to vote against things that have a negative effect on people. I am old enough to draw a Social Security Check. However, the Social Security system is going to bankrupt this country at some point in the near future. We simply have to fix this problem. There are only two ways to fix this problem. Either cut benefits or raise the taxes to fund it into the future.

The general public is very hypocritical on this issue. We complain when the politicians in Washington don't fix this problem. Then when they try to fix it we blame them for the cut in benefits to old folks or vote them out of office when they try to raise the taxes to fix it.

My personal thought is that we just get rid of the whole mess.

I am sure I have worn out my welcome with this post. So, I will just quit here.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
I usually try to clarify this, as not liking "career politicians"

Because I want someone representing me who has worked in the workforce (real workplace), and will have to return to that workforce after they serve.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
jdagreek, I agree with you on the SS problem, but I am willing to accept that the cure may be my generation (and myself personally) takes a hit, pays in so that my grandparents and parents (who may well have planned on that for survival) can receive it; but knowing full well that I won't.

1shot(bob)

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I always find it interesting when non-political people talk about political people. I hope this doesn't surprise anyone, but there are politicians here. If you are not political you are dead. My guess is that 100% of the people who post on this board are political. My guess is that 100% of us are NRA members and there is no more political organization on the face of the earth than the NRA and for good reason.

I served in the Oklahoma State Legislature for 10 years then served in the first Bush [daddy bush] Administration. I am political as I have a political philosophy and it isn't a liberal philosophy.

I would never vote for anyone running for office under the premise that "I am not a politician." That is just running away from the issue. It is deceit at the very beginning. I don't trust people who try to hide behind these kinds of phrases. I also don't trust anyone who throws their religion at me. I have been had by to many of those who proclaim their religious views in public places.

My experience is that there are some really good people holding public office. There are also some crooks and scoundrels as well. And the percentage of crooks holding political office is pretty close to that of the general society.

Holding a political office and trying to do a good job is a thankless job. To really look out for the public interest means we have to vote against things that have a negative effect on people. I am old enough to draw a Social Security Check. However, the Social Security system is going to bankrupt this country at some point in the near future. We simply have to fix this problem. There are only two ways to fix this problem. Either cut benefits or raise the taxes to fund it into the future.

The general public is very hypocritical on this issue. We complain when the politicians in Washington don't fix this problem. Then when they try to fix it we blame them for the cut in benefits to old folks or vote them out of office when they try to raise the taxes to fix it.

My personal thought is that we just get rid of the whole mess.

I am sure I have worn out my welcome with this post. So, I will just quit here.

I guess that depends on how you define 'crooks'.

Any public sector job is a 'thankless job'. Maybe it should be. Anyone that takes that position with the intent of getting patted on the back is probably doing it for the wrong reason. You do it because it needs to be done, like the laundry or taking out the trash. Too many people in those positions seem to elevate themselves above the people they serve (at least in my opinion) and forget they are the servants, not the masters.

Generally speaking you may be correct, but I think there are a lot of us that realize there will have to be some blood letting eventually. And if it happens to be my blood, so be it. At this point I don't se how they can raise taxes any more. They now have to find a way to cut spending. And if that means someone has to do without, fine. They can do without or provide for themselves. I'm not being selfish in that statement, I just think everyone needs to pull their own weight.

I agree. Abolish SS, medicare, medicaid, welfare, and unemployment. Let people keep the money they pay into those programs, then maybe they won't need them later on.

Your welcome is still good as afar as I'm concerned. Keep on posting, as they say.

1shot(bob)

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I usually try to clarify this, as not liking "career politicians"

Because I want someone representing me who has worked in the workforce (real workplace), and will have to return to that workforce after they serve.

One word: term limits! No more career politicians. Make the ba$tards go back and live under the laws they pass.

Latest posts

Top Bottom